Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

decimal point / comma in clip duration

Hi, I'm using iMovie 10.3.1 (Italian Language) on my iMac and MacBook Air. and I'm having a problem setting the clip duration. When I select the clip and click on the small icon "Clip Information", I see the clip the duration (for example 2.0 seconds). If I try to change it, it doesn't allow me to set any value with either decimal point or comma. The only way to set, for example, 1.5 seconds is with the mouse on the timeline, but in this way it's not exatly user friendly to update multiple clips.

It seems to me clearly a bug ...

Thanks in advance for your support

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 8:27 AM

Hmmmmm. That does appear to be a bug. I'm running an older version of iMovie on Mojave, and the duration change works fine on my system.

As an experiment, you might try going into Apple Logo/System Preferences/Language and Region and change the language and/or region, and see if that solves the problem. You can always change back.

As a workaround, you can go to iMovie/Preferences and in the preference box that appears, set the default photo duration to whatever number you want. (See if the preferences duration box accepts the period and comma.) If it works, it won't change the duration of photos already added to the timeline, but all photos added afterwards will have the photo duration that you set in preferences. All projects created after setting the photo duration preference will have the photo duration that you set for each photo added to the timeline.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 8:27 AM in response to sgiurin

Hmmmmm. That does appear to be a bug. I'm running an older version of iMovie on Mojave, and the duration change works fine on my system.

As an experiment, you might try going into Apple Logo/System Preferences/Language and Region and change the language and/or region, and see if that solves the problem. You can always change back.

As a workaround, you can go to iMovie/Preferences and in the preference box that appears, set the default photo duration to whatever number you want. (See if the preferences duration box accepts the period and comma.) If it works, it won't change the duration of photos already added to the timeline, but all photos added afterwards will have the photo duration that you set in preferences. All projects created after setting the photo duration preference will have the photo duration that you set for each photo added to the timeline.

-- Rich

Dec 23, 2021 12:23 AM in response to sgiurin

So, if you select a still clip (not a video clip) and highlight and delete the duration shown in the duration box, and try to type in a new duration, you are unable to do it?

That shouldn't be happening. If it's not a bug, then it is an unexpected iMovie behavior.

Try deleting preferences and see if that solves it. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old

library to get back to your projects.  Now try to change the duration of a still clip in the timeline. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If still no success, try creating a new project and see if you can adjust the duration of a still clip in the new project.

-- Rich

Dec 23, 2021 2:59 AM in response to Rich839

Thank for the answer Rich,

when I try to type a new duration, it's ok only if I don't type decimal point (or comma). It accept 1 or 2 but not 1.5 neither 1,5

Even more, if the current value is already 1.5, I click on it and I don't change it at all, the same value is not accepted.

The same behaviuor happens on all the Mac computer I've tried (mine and of friends of mine).

As you suggested, I've deleted preferences and started a fresh new project; I've included one picture, tried to edit the duration field and the problem is still there.

I suspect it's related to Italian setup...

Dec 23, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Rich839

Another thing that you can try is to redownload iMovie.

To redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar.   You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Dec 24, 2021 3:22 AM in response to Rich839

Well, what I've done, inspired by your suggestions, is this:

In Apple Logo/System Preferences/Language and Region I did not change the overall Region neither the Language; but in the App tab I've added one instance for iMovie with Language > English.

So the all System is still Region:Italy and Language:Italian, and only iMovie is in English.

And now it works !

Thanks a lot !

decimal point / comma in clip duration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.