Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace ripped songs in library with higher quality Apple versions?

A long time ago I subscribed to iTunes Match. A couple of years ago I switched to Apple Music, that includes iTunes Match. I ripped all my CDs many years ago, and many of the songs were matched with songs already in Apple's library. Today I noticed that one of the ripped songs had been replaced in my library with a different version of the same song. While comparing the album in my library with the same album in the Apple Music library, I noticed that the Apple Music library offered lossless for this album, while my ripped version obviously did not support lossless. I manually replaced the album in my library with the version from Apple Music. I wonder, is there a way to replace songs in my library with higher quality versions, but otherwise identical recordings, from the Apple Music library? In this case, the Apple Music album also does not support Dolby Atmos. But for several other songs the Apple Music versions do support Dolby Atmos. Anyone ideas on how to update the music in my library?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 1:28 AM

Hi,

If tracks that you own have been matched, with Apple Music you can remove original and then download lossless/ hi—def versions if there is a version available. Not all matched or purchased tracks have lossless versions. It is possible that the same tracks are available direct from Apple Music library

The lossless version will have DRM and will only be available as long as you have an Apple Music subscription.

Back up you existing library before removing the original. If you decide to cancel Apple Music, you can change download settings back to 256 Kbps, remove lossless version and redownload matched version.

Jim

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2021 1:28 AM in response to jmvdkolk

Hi,

If tracks that you own have been matched, with Apple Music you can remove original and then download lossless/ hi—def versions if there is a version available. Not all matched or purchased tracks have lossless versions. It is possible that the same tracks are available direct from Apple Music library

The lossless version will have DRM and will only be available as long as you have an Apple Music subscription.

Back up you existing library before removing the original. If you decide to cancel Apple Music, you can change download settings back to 256 Kbps, remove lossless version and redownload matched version.

Jim

Replace ripped songs in library with higher quality Apple versions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.