Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CONVERTING TO APFS

Running macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010).  Have 2 internal SSDs and 2 external SSD’s, all of which show file system as Journaled HFS–GUID Partition.  Since I’m running Mojave, shouldn’t  I be using the Apple File System (APFS) on all SSD’s?  If so, how do I convert to APFS?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 4:44 PM

It is not mandatory. If you upgrade to Catalina it will reformat to APFS automatically. If you want your internal drives to be APFS you can convert those by restarting your Mac by using Command + R to boot into recovery mode. Then, from Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices> Select your parent drive (or external) then click Edit and Convert to APFS. It will not impact your files. Before doing any conversion be sure you have a backup just in case.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 4:44 PM in response to terrencefromhayward

It is not mandatory. If you upgrade to Catalina it will reformat to APFS automatically. If you want your internal drives to be APFS you can convert those by restarting your Mac by using Command + R to boot into recovery mode. Then, from Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices> Select your parent drive (or external) then click Edit and Convert to APFS. It will not impact your files. Before doing any conversion be sure you have a backup just in case.

Jan 9, 2022 1:04 PM in response to tbirdvet

Just wanted to thank all of you who helped me thru what for me was a very scary problem (both int/start-up and ext/back-up drives giving failure warnings at the same time) and give you a final update.  I think I got it all done w/o any loss of files or data. Here’s where I’m at:

1) Both my original int & ext drives have been reformatted & now appear to work perfectly. 

2) I put a new WDC 1T SSD in as my main/start-up drive.  I’m using the original Samsung 

500mb SSD (the orig. main/start-up drive) as a second internal drive used simply as a 

“copy” disk (with Super Duper) to keep an actual copy of my main drive (WDC). This way, 

either drive can be used as a start-up disk. 

3) I now have two external back-up disks: 

a) the new SanDisk Extreme Portable 2T SSD;

b) the “old” Seagate 2T HDD.

4) All four drives are formatted Journaled HFS–GUID Partition. Somewhere along the line, I was thrown by an article (think it was Apple.support) that said Mojave uses the Apple File System (APFS), so I thought I needed to convert because it was newer, therefore better.  But not mandatory and, if I’m correct, Mojave must use Journaled in order to work with Time Machine.  

ONE PROBLEM:  While everything now appears to be working well, I still have the original EtreCheck reports showing SSD too slow-SSD is showing poor performance???  Think it might be due to a runaway app–Dictation.  Have posted a new thread titled “Dictation problem. com.apple.SpeechRecognitionCore.speechrecognitiond 82.40 % (Apple)”.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Terry

CONVERTING TO APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.