Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Auto-Lock time can't be changed

Does anyone know how to change the waiting time for Auto-Lock when it's grayed-out? My 6th-gen iPad has been stuck on 2 minutes for several weeks and won't let me change it. It's stayed like this despite updating iOS to latest version (15.2) and resetting everything today.

I've read elsewhere that it might be linked to Battery LowPower mode, but that's turned off, and nothing seems to let me change it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-V.M.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 8:54 AM

Ensure that you have not enabled Low Power Mode, as doing so will override many iPad settings - including setting Auto-Lock settings to 2 minutes.

Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode - set to OFF

7 replies

Dec 24, 2021 1:32 PM in response to VM-podpadphone

Hi, V.M.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you're not able to adjust the Auto-Lock option on your iPad, and we'd be delighted to offer some suggestions that may help.

It sounds like you've done some pretty incredible research and troubleshooting. Low Power Mode does disable the ability to adjust Auto-Lock, but it will default to 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes. Generally, when you see a setting like this disabled it will be related to either Screen Time restrictions or a profile that manages your iPad.

Are you or anyone in your Family using Screen Time on your iPad? You can check at Settings > Screen Time to see if it's enable.

If not, have you made any recent changes to your iPad like installing a profile or Mobile Device Management (MDM) app? You should be able to easily check by going to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management. (If you don't see the option, it means you don't have any profiles installed.)

All Our Best.

Dec 25, 2021 7:32 PM in response to Ali_E1

Hi Alicia -

Thanks for the response and suggestions. One thing I've learned over the years when asking for tech-support is that the user should first check the obvious or likely reasons before asking for help.

When I checked the Mobile Device Management screen, it made me realize thats probably the reason for my trouble -- I'd installed some apps for my job/company to work remotely and forgot that it created a "management profile" on the iPad. I'll check with my company IT group to see if its really necessary to have that and whether I can change the auto-lock setting.

-Van M.

iPad Auto-Lock time can't be changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.