Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages in iCloud not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different.

How do I solve this? I continue to get Messages in iCloud not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different. I appear to be signed into both my laptop and iphone with the same Apple ID. How can I get iMessages to sync from Mac to iPhone and vice versa?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 9:30 AM

Hello frustrated_1961boomer,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that Messages aren't syncing as expected with iCloud. You've come to the right place. We're happy to look into this with you.

We recommend that follow the steps below on your iPhone:

1. Turn off Messages in iCloud in Settings > [your name] > iCloud.

2. Turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages.

3. Turn off FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime.

4. Restart your iPhone.

5. Turn on iMessage in Settings > Messages.

6. Turn on FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime

7. Wait 5 minutes.

8. Turn on Messages in iCloud in Settings > [your name] > iCloud.

Let us know the results. Be sure to include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 9:30 AM in response to frustrated_1961boomer

Hello frustrated_1961boomer,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that Messages aren't syncing as expected with iCloud. You've come to the right place. We're happy to look into this with you.

We recommend that follow the steps below on your iPhone:

1. Turn off Messages in iCloud in Settings > [your name] > iCloud.

2. Turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages.

3. Turn off FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime.

4. Restart your iPhone.

5. Turn on iMessage in Settings > Messages.

6. Turn on FaceTime in Settings > FaceTime

7. Wait 5 minutes.

8. Turn on Messages in iCloud in Settings > [your name] > iCloud.

Let us know the results. Be sure to include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Mar 4, 2022 8:45 AM in response to JovonaP.

JovonaP's solution didn't work for me. Here's a solution (with pictures) that did work. I actually had no iMessage address listed, so I de-selected my phone number, and entered my Apple ID (same that is used for iCloud) and selected that email address. Voila! I could then select Messages under Settings > (Your Name) > iCloud. Here's the link to solution:

https://allthings.how/icloud-and-imessage-accounts-are-different-on-your-iphone-heres-a-fix/

Mar 20, 2022 9:53 PM in response to J_BIC

Hold up, I have a few things I want straightened out so I can know what I”m doing is correct. Now in “Messages” in my “Send & Receive” section I have “2 Addresses”. “You Can receive iMessages to and reply from:”. One is my cell phone number, the other is my name @iCloud.com & the other is my name @.me.com which is the one that my Apple account is under & the one that I usually use for Apple although I’m told that the @iCloud & @me amount to the same thing, I don’t know. Both my cell # & my @me.com are checked under “Send/Receive” I’m not sure if I should also check my name @iCloud.com also or if that would be redundant.

In the “Start New Conversations From” field I have my cell # & my name @me.com. I can only choose one out of the 2 so I chose the @me.com.

I’ve always had problems sending iMessages to my sister from my iPad for some reason & they were always marked as “Not Delivered”. But for some reason I can send her texts just fine through my iPhone & she gets those so I don’t know what’s the blame for it failing on my iPad & what it is that works on my iPhone. Given what I’ve described to you is there anything I should change? I have @me.com across the board & I’m not sure if I should remove my cell “Send/Recieve” or use my cell instead of my Apple ID for “Start Néw Conversation”. That link you gave was somewhat informative but it still left me (& probably many others) wanting as to what else to do if you also have a cell # set up or listed or alternate email. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2022 7:45 AM in response to frustrated_1961boomer

I was having this problem with my iPad Pro 2021 and found that Messages was logged into a different Apple account than my iCloud account. I followed the process exactly as listed here but it did not fix it.

What did fix it was to first log out of Messages and FaceTime, then reset my iPad by going to “Settings” - “General” - “Transfer or Reset iPad” - “Reset”. I then logged back into Messages and FaceTime, assuring that I used the same iCloud account.

May 14, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Jocelynapple

This worked, thanks! I tried everything else above this multiple times. I only use a single Apple ID. Everything matched, but I was still unable to send SMS text messages from my iPad, especially to non-apple users (friends w/ Android phones). This fixed it, thanks! (Not sure, by the way, why, when one activates iMessage on an ipad, does not automatically perform this step for you, as the whole purpose for (me) using iMessage is so that I can receive and respond to text messages of all kinds, from my iPad, not just from my iPhone).

Messages in iCloud not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.