Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16" briefly charges on MagSafe, then stops

Hi,

Today I got my 16" MacBook Pro (base config). I have the newest OS version (12.1).

When I try to use MagSafe, it briefly charges (indicator turns orange), but then it dims after about 5 seconds and the MacBook is no longer charging. It works fine after shut down / reboot before logging in, so it appears to be a software issue. Also, I hear the high-pitched charging sound when I plug my charger in before logging in, but not after I logged in. When I log out using the bottom option in the 'Apple logo menu' on the top left corner to enter the same screen (choose user) without reboot, it does not work. My old USB C charger works without issues.

I have tried turning on/off "Optimized Battery Charging" and lower power node, to no avail.

Is anyone else having the issue / know a fix?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 2:10 PM

3 replies

Dec 25, 2021 12:18 PM in response to rickrickrickrickrickrickrick

Hi rickrickrickrickrickrickrick,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities and congratulations on your new Mac.

We understand your Mac isn''t charging as it should. Be sure all plastic coverings have been removed from the charging cable and on the Mac. Try charging from a different power source. Run Apple Diagnostics to check for any issue with charging.

Regards.

Dec 25, 2021 5:34 PM in response to rickrickrickrickrickrickrick

I recently discovered a charging issue on my 16 in. MacBook Pro M1 Max (32 core GPU, 64 GB memory). The issue I experienced was that after using my MacBook Pro on battery for about 30 minutes, I shut it down and connected with MagSafe which then correctly turned orange to indicate that the Macbook Pro's battery was charging. However, the next day the orange indicator light was still illuminated. The battery icon in the menu indicated that the laptop was not charging and that the battery was at 86% of full charge and not charging. Rebooting the computer did not help. I then did an SMC (System Management Controller) reset by shutting down the M1 Max, then holding the Control+Option+Right Shift keys for 7 seconds, then while still holding these three keys holding the power button down for 7 seconds, and finally releasing all keys when the computer starting booting and displaying the Apple logo. I now find that my MagSafe charger is behaving as it should, i.e. turning orange until the computer is charged to 100% and then turning green. Thus I recommend that you reset the SMC on your M1 MacBook Pro and see if this resolves the issue with your MagSafe charging.

M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16" briefly charges on MagSafe, then stops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.