Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iStat Menus normal temperatures and fan speeds

Mid-iMac•2011 2.7GHz 12,2

Late-2014 iMac 27” 3.5GHz 15,1

Looking for a chart or some listing of range of normal temperatures/fan speeds for these to using paid version of iStat Menus? Finding a variety of here and there listed by members, thank you; but, surely there must be a listing somewhere for the plethora of desktop iMac’s to check the health of your machine. Anyone have a link? Been looking for some time now...

Best, Seth

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 9:44 PM

AFAIK, I have not seen any compilation of this type of data for any Macs, let alone iMacs. The only thing I have seen is from Intel on their specific CPUs' max. operating temps.

FWIW, I use the following command in terminal to determine the exact CPU in any of my Macs:

• sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string

For my 2018 Mac mini, the result was: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-87000 CPU @ 3.20GHz. Then going to the following Intel site:

I can look up this particular CPU's TJunction temperature ... which, for this CPU, is 100ºC. This would be the max. temp.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2021 9:44 PM in response to Seth77

AFAIK, I have not seen any compilation of this type of data for any Macs, let alone iMacs. The only thing I have seen is from Intel on their specific CPUs' max. operating temps.

FWIW, I use the following command in terminal to determine the exact CPU in any of my Macs:

• sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string

For my 2018 Mac mini, the result was: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-87000 CPU @ 3.20GHz. Then going to the following Intel site:

I can look up this particular CPU's TJunction temperature ... which, for this CPU, is 100ºC. This would be the max. temp.

Dec 24, 2021 5:53 PM in response to Seth77

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are asking. Is it: Is there a free version of Mac health monitoring app similar to iStat Menus? ... or are you asking: Are there sources for the expected temp. vs. fan speed for specific Mac models to compare against what iStat Menus is providing? The more information of what your goals are, the better we can try to help you with.

Dec 24, 2021 6:57 PM in response to Tesserax

Maybe I should not have mentioned iStat Menus, but this is a common source of checking the various sensors and fans for various iMac’s. iStat Menus lists the sensors and fans and you get whatever you’re operating temperatures and fans speeds are, and wonder what the normal operating temperatures and fans speeds are for any given iMac year and model. I thought maybe banjo might have something but they do not. I was hoping there might be a compilation of the sensors/fans and normal windows that are normal, and when concern should command your attention that something is wrong..

iStat Menus normal temperatures and fan speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.