Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin password incorrect, but it's 100% correct. macOS Monterey

I have the exact issue, but I'm fully up-to-date, my password is indeed a password and I've even reset the password through Terminal in recovery mode. I can log into my mac as admin with my password, but then after, within my system i cannot make changes. My password is 100% correct and this seems to be a bug. I've just updated to Monterey and this started. I've re-installed the OS and i'm still stuck in this loop. I cannot open the "lock" do make ANY changes. Please advise/help

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 8:41 PM

13 replies

Dec 26, 2021 6:37 AM in response to ChrisWC1980

Open Users & Groups System Preferences.

Select your username.

Is the Allow user to administer this computer set or not set?

If it is not set, you have lost your admin privileges. You will need to create a new admin user to fix your current user's privileges.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002676

Note that on Monterey, your Data volume may be named just, "Data" and not "Macintosh HD - Data"

Dec 26, 2021 6:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

Nailed it! thats exactly the problem. My account is now "standard" and I have no admin privileges. I've attempted to follow the steps in the link to remove .AppleSetupDone... it's been unsuccessful. in recovery mode terminal and in single user mode it says no file exists. I'm not sure i've i've mounted the Data or not... it says it's mounted but I'm getting no results.

is this the only way to create an admin account? as of now my mac has no admin account whatsoever.

Jan 11, 2022 7:20 AM in response to userz99

Hey there, can I confirm whether this wipes all of the data on the hard drive?

No. Deleting a single file has never resulted in wiping all of the data from the drive.

If you delete the top-level folder from the drive, you would delete all of the data off the drive.

I used the interactive mode of the command so that if you accidentally hit enter while in the middle of typing the path, it will ask if you really want to delete that file/folder. That command also cannot delete a folder (unless it is empty), so even if you were to approve deleting the Data folder, it would fail.

Jan 11, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you.

I have run the command with with double quotations with both: rm -i "/Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
and rm -i "/Volumes/Data/private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

but not having any luck. i know it must have deleted as it says 'no such file or directory'

perhaps an issue that i am not mounting? You said to Mount, but my 'Macintosh HD - Data' only option is to unmount, so i left this alone

Jan 11, 2022 8:26 AM in response to userz99

I guess I need to clarify that statement more. It is only if you have FileVault enabled will you have to mount the Data volume. Otherwise, it should be mounted automatically. Just check to make sure to use the name of the Data volume as you find it in Disk Utility.

Use the list command to show what is in that directory.

ls -al "/Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data/private/var/db/"

Somewhere at the top of the list should be .AppleSetupDone

If you get any errors, post them.

Or, just list the Volumes folder so you know what is in there:

ls -al /Volumes

If you don't see Macintosh HD - Data or you see two Data volumes, post what you find.

Jan 20, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Barney-15E

I found it difficult to type out the name, my issue was I kept typing a minus, which threw up Errors like 'Volume not found'

So I copied the actual data disk name from 'Disk Utilities' in Recovery mode. (Exited Terminal and continued to Disk Utilities'

Literally clicked on the name with Data 'Macintosh HD – Data' (Right Clicked 'Copy' or CMD+C.) Then went back to the Terminal, and pasted the name after typing the rest. So no errors

Succeed after copying the name. Typed 'y' then restarted.

Admin password incorrect, but it's 100% correct. macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.