Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Method for transferring from MacBook Pro to MacBook Air

I am looking at getting a new MacBook Air and would like to transfer my stuff from my 2018 MacBook Pro which has about 490GB of used storage.

I have had a few problems with iTunes and Photos over the years with syncing with other devices so it may be an opportunity to put it all right. So basically I dont want to just transfer the same problems over to the new machine.

What is the best way to move my iTunes library over whilst keeping play counts and play lists etc but ensuring it is a fresh clean move.

Also the same with Photos. I would like to transfer everything in there but ensure it is new and clean.

I have around 20,000 songs in my Music/iTunes media folder (170GB of mostly my own stuff) and about 160GB of Photos and Videos.

I don't use the cloud for music or photos

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 5:13 AM

Migration is the only way. You can run it when you initially set up the new Mac, or after using the Migration Assistant app. If you choose after setup, don’t create the first user name the same as the one you’ll migrate. Migration works best if it creates that account, not try to merge.

5 replies

Dec 26, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Barney-15E

I am always have issues with syncing to my iPhone so I assume I have some sort of errors amongst my photos and music folders as they have gone through about 6 different Macs over the years.

I just want to start fresh with both and only transfer the files that I need. ie.the folder that holds my photos and folder that holds all my music with play counts.

Dec 26, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Neil Egan

The metadata (e.g. play counts) is stored in a file in the Library and is based on the storage structure. Copying that file alone will not restore the play counts because they don’t store the play count for “Mary had a little lamb.mp3”. It stores them play count for something like ASC6D-IJWER-NP0S4-SOKE8W0SK-SERTHO.

When you just copy the media file, and the index, it may not be able to associate that new file with the index reference.

The Photos are in a package in your Pictures folder, Photos Library.photoslibrary.

Since you have been through so many upgrades, the music is probably in the old iTunes structure. The location of the files will be listed in the Music app Preferences. The metadata is in the Music Library.XML. That file is probably one level up rom the files.

Best Method for transferring from MacBook Pro to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.