Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Recovery Mode stuck on Options

Hi, I literally did this exact same process on my non-Apple silicon MBP last week, and I tried to do the same on my old M1 Air last night so I can give it to my mom, however, after booting into recovery mode and erasing the primary disk, it now is stuck on boot, specifically says Options.

I attempted to reset the PVRAM, but I cannot access a terminal so I can not do this (not like resetting the PRAM on non-Apple-silicon devices). I also tried to boot in DFU mode, but nothing. Any help? I would prefer to not have to go to the Apple store.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 8:00 AM

8 replies

Dec 25, 2021 8:11 AM in response to mkm29

Hi, I literally did this exact same process on my non-Apple silicon MBP last week, and I tried to do the same on my old M1 Air last night so I can give it to my mom, however, after booting into recovery mode and erasing the primary disk, it now is stuck on boot, specifically says Options.

Yeah, the two are not the same. Important security information is stored on the drive of the M1; erasing it completely will render it useless until reset. Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

I also tried to boot in DFU mode, but nothing. Any help? I would prefer to not have to go to the Apple store.

If Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support didn't work, I would imagine the only option is to take it into an Apple Store.

Dec 25, 2021 2:24 PM in response to mkm29

Should this security information/keys be stored on a TPM chip on the motherboard? Using Disk Utility to Erase a drive should never impact this kind of information...

There isn't a TPM chip on a Mac, but it has something similar on all of it's devices (on Mac, starting with T2 chip) known collectively as the Secure Enclave Processor (SEP), but that's not the issue.

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/06/02/booting-an-m1-mac-external-disks-and-local-boot-policy-in-macos-11-4/

The One True Recovery (1TR) is stored on the SSD separate from the OS volume. If you destroy 1TR, you can't get into Recovery as you must be in 1TR to modify the security policy of the drive (reinstalling the OS, for instance).

M1 Recovery Mode stuck on Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.