Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpod case not charging from laptop

On a windows 11, when connected through the USB C port the airpods pros charge for a couple of seconds then stop. The only feasible way to charge them would be to reconnect them every 10 seconds which isn't practical. What is the solution?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 9:17 AM

Hi All,

There is a solution to this problem that worked for me - got it from someone on Reddit

"

• ⁠Plug in Airpods case to USB-C
  • ⁠Go to Control Panel
  • ⁠View Devices and printers
  • ⁠Under 'Unspecified' you'll find AirPod Case, double click it
  • ⁠Hardware tab
  • ⁠Double click HID-compliant device (not the USB input)
  • ⁠Click Change settings
  • ⁠Driver tab
  • ⁠Disable Device
  • ⁠Unplug, then reconnect your case

At first I thought this didn't work bc the light was still turning off but they charge perfectly fine now. hope this helps."

Hope this helps you.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 9:17 AM in response to noa250

Hi All,

There is a solution to this problem that worked for me - got it from someone on Reddit

"

• ⁠Go to Control Panel
  • ⁠Hardware tab
  • ⁠Click Change settings
  • ⁠Driver tab
  • ⁠Disable Device

At first I thought this didn't work bc the light was still turning off but they charge perfectly fine now. hope this helps."

Hope this helps you.

Aug 15, 2023 12:08 PM in response to noa250

Worked like a charm for me, thanks so much! On Windows 11 it's slightly different:

• In Control Panel, from Bluetooth & Devices > Devices click View more devices
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom (past where you see AirPod Case under Other devices)
  • Click More devices and printer settings
  • Scroll to the bottom of the new window, where you'll see AirPod Case under Unspecified

• Then follow noa250's instructions to disable the driver.

Dec 27, 2021 4:09 PM in response to Sparks0829

Not OP, but I have the same issue. Windows (10) laptop, plugged into USB-C PD port, all drivers updated, original Apple USB-C to Lighting cable that came with case. Charges for a couple seconds (or appears to, anyway), and then stops and never actually charges at all. It will charge through a compatible Apple adapter. The issues lies with the USB port not working correctly with the charging case, or vice-versa. The same cable/port combo works to charge my iPhone 12. Any available information on resolving this would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Feb 1, 2022 6:56 AM in response to lazzzzzzzzic

Had same issue here and took 2 working days to resolve...

First, excuse my english, I'm french :p

Noa250 solution didn't worked for me, although I use standard USB and no USB-C (don't think this is related)

After upgrading my laptop to a fresh installation of Windows 11, I noticed that my Airpods Case wouldn't charge as usual on Windows 10.

The issue lies in the driver used to connect the airpods case: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\hidusb.sys

On my current windows version (build 22000.469) the driver version is 10.0.22000.1

If you replace it manually with an old one (have to skirt many Windows securities), the issue disappear. (tested with a 6.xxxxx from windows 7). But you will encounter other USB issues (for example, my mouse wasn't detected anymore, such as other usb devices). I tried with a much more recent version of the .sys (10.0.16299.15) but issue was the same.

Solution was to change only usb driver used for the Airpods Case with Zadig!

I changed it for libusbK and it worked like a charm! (Had to 'show all devices' in 'options' to see the Airpods Case. You also have to plug it to see it in the list)

Airpods Case charges now continually and other devices still use original hidusb.sys (you can check it all with the usefull Nirsoft USBDeview)

PS: Many research for this issue also leads me to a very interesting 'plug-in' for Windows users with their Ipods -> Magicpods by Aleksandr Maslov on Windows store. It reproduce behavior of IOS Airpods on Windows with same design and very usefull options (such as autoconnect).

Oct 11, 2022 10:43 AM in response to noa250

@noa250 solution worked for me! (with standard USB not USB-C)

Thank you so much - this fixed it for me - I had the same problem, I was connecting my airpods to Win 10 Dell Inspiron laptop STANDARD USB port (not USB-C) with charge cable. My iphone would charge, so I knew the cable was OK. The airpod case would show charging for 10secs and then stop charging (by checking status from the iphone case status (lightning indicator would disappear)).

Applying the change above fixed the problem and it now charges fine!

"

• ⁠Go to Control Panel
  • ⁠Hardware tab
  • ⁠Click Change settings
  • ⁠Driver tab
  • ⁠Disable Device

Dec 26, 2021 9:22 AM in response to lazzzzzzzzic

Hi there lazzzzzzzzic,

Thanks for joining us in Apple Support Communities! We understand your AirPods Pro aren't charging when connected to your Windows PC. We're glad you're here, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To begin, are you able to charge your AirPods Pro normally using the Lightning to USB cable and a compatible Apple adapter? "Charging is fastest when you use an iPhone or iPad USB charger or plug into your Mac." Learn more here:

Charge your AirPods and learn about battery life

Send over these details, and we'll take a closer look from there.

Cheers!

Jan 20, 2022 7:03 PM in response to Sparks0829

I encounter similar issue, as described by Kadivadavidak. It can properly be charged using Apple adaptor, but not through USB type C cable connected to Windows laptop. There is no issue with the cable as it works perfectly well with other connection. Glad to know after visiting here that I am not alone and will look forward to resolutions in near future.

Jan 25, 2022 10:53 AM in response to lazzzzzzzzic

I am also trying to charge Air Pod Pro case on a Windows 11 laptop. Have tried both the USB on the docking station and on the computer itself and the case will not charge. My Iphone charges fine with either configuration. The case appers in the device list under settings in the new Windows settings layout but only option if selecting 3 dots to the right is "remove" the case. The case will appear/disappear in that list if plugging/unplugging from USB so the system is seeing the case and recognizing the item but does allow it to charge.

Feb 2, 2022 4:06 PM in response to noa250

thanks alot, it gave me a headache and its annoying when my windows 11 laptop couldn't charge my airpods pro case, you a legend. Went to genius bar first time, it worked and the guy fixed it for me, when i got back home and i tried to charge with my windows laptop, doesn't worked again, went to genius bar the second time, the guy finally changed a new charging case for me, ok so i thought this time it will work, then again, got back home, doesn't charged again, then i kept thinking, then something prompted me to go charge it with my macbook air, and amazingly it started charging, which left me a conclusion that its my windows laptop that couldn't charged my airpods case and no wonder the guy at apple can successfully charged it because he used a macbook pro to charge it. LOL

Mar 8, 2022 12:59 PM in response to noa250

Spot on! This had been a problem from me ever since the switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11. No issues charging the case anywhere else with the same USB C cable and no issues charging my iPhone 13 with the same USB C on my comp. Was sooooo frustrating. Glad I looked for solutions again as I had just about given up.

Mar 31, 2022 2:27 AM in response to noa250

all I can say is wow... I’m on a road trip and was about to take a trip to the closest Apple 🍏 store but you saved me a trip, time and more hours of frustration... this worked like a CHARM... Thanks for sharing and let’s all send great vibes to the person on Reddit who you got this fix from... from being unable to use my AirPods for 2days Im now at 30% and rising after applying this fix... thanks for sharing...

Sep 20, 2022 12:46 AM in response to lazzzzzzzzic

Same for me. Only airpods (two separate sets, pro and normal) not charging from new laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2. Every other apple device charging fine fine same cable. Also tried different cables: same result --> airpods charge for a few seconds then they stop charging.

This is seriusly annoying for someone like me working on the go and not always near a normal power outlet. please Fix!

Thankyou,

GC

Airpod case not charging from laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.