Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this a legitimate MacOS message?

Today, a message has popped twice on my screen. It pretends to be a "MacOS security alert" and reads:

"A critical system update is requesting your immediate attention. The password for [my name] is required, to allow the update to be installed in the background."

It looks super iffy to me but I can't find anything on this message to confirm it's either legit or a scam.

And I can't close the message.

Any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 10:13 AM

6 replies

Dec 25, 2021 10:43 AM in response to wallerstein

Disk Cleaners, Optimizers and UnInstaller are not needed. They will often times attempt to Modify, Alter, Remove or Delete elements of the Operating System requiring a Re-Installation.

A Testament to this CMM ( CleanMyMac ) as to the extent of the damages it can and will do

Even after it is removed as per ONLY the Developers Instructions - it may or may not need to boot to Recovery Mode and chose Reinstall macOS just to put back any corrupted, removed or otherwise compromised elements of the OS

Dec 25, 2021 11:18 AM in response to wallerstein

If it popped up in your browser, force Quit and then reopen the browser while holding down the shift key to prevent reloading that web page.

Anything "critical" would be automatically installed by Apple. They can do that regardless of the settings in Software Update. Any normal update would show a badge on the System Preferences, Software Update.

Is this a legitimate MacOS message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.