Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert entire library to mp3

I know this is asked loads but wanted to ask with options...

I have changed back to PC from iMac after 11 years. Which also means I'm on Android not iPhone, on top of that, I've started using smart speakers in the house and have nothing to connect my iPod to...

So ...

I needed to change my entire iTunes library to mp3. I know I can convert them in iTunes but it only offers to duplicate in the same folders.

I still have to manually delete the old files. 200GB of music is just over 30,000 songs...

Even the thought of doing that makes me dizzy.

Is it possible to import my library from my back up and just import by converting them or once imported can they convert into a separate folder / library so I can just delete the old ones.

Basically can you mass convert to a separate folder.

I'm literally at the point of frustration, I'm gonna buy any old Iphone off Ebay just to play my iTunes though the smart speakers.

iPod Classic

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 4:16 AM

Kitsa wrote:

Is it possible to import my library from my back up and just import by converting them or once imported can they convert into a separate folder / library so I can just delete the old ones.

I don't believe this is possible in iTunes. It does as you say, create a second copy and put it in the same folder.

So what are the alternative options?

• Although not all Android phones can play Apple's M4a files (also known as AAC), there are apps that you can download from the Play Store that will play them. When looking in the Play Store, check to see whether the app specifically mentions that it can play M4a or AAC. I've found two very quickly
  • Search online for a convertor programme that will convert in bulk and store the files separately. Remember though, the last thing you want is a convertor that converts* the file (rather than making a "copy" in another format), because if anything went wrong, you could lose your original copy. I'm not aware of any specific programmes that might serve your purpose
  • Try Media Monkey. There's a Windows version and a matching player for Android phones. I believe that Media Monkey converts M4a files when it adds them to an Android phone, so you wouldn't even need to convert them yourself. There are free and premium versions of both applications.

First of all, try putting an M4a file onto your phone to see if the player will play it. Does your phone even have a default music player? (For anyone, with their own library, the idea of a phone not having a music player is horrific. But in this age of streaming, it seems to be the current trend.)

------------- --------------

As an aside:

* Can you spot this anomaly in iTunes?

Notice that on the File menu the first of the sub-menus states Convert, which is incorrect (because that's not what iTunes actually does), while the next sub-menu tells you (correctly) that it will Create (make) a copy, in the new format. No wonder people get confused!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 4:16 AM in response to Kitsa

Kitsa wrote:

I don't believe this is possible in iTunes. It does as you say, create a second copy and put it in the same folder.

So what are the alternative options?

• Although not all Android phones can play Apple's M4a files (also known as AAC), there are apps that you can download from the Play Store that will play them. When looking in the Play Store, check to see whether the app specifically mentions that it can play M4a or AAC. I've found two very quickly
  • Search online for a convertor programme that will convert in bulk and store the files separately. Remember though, the last thing you want is a convertor that converts* the file (rather than making a "copy" in another format), because if anything went wrong, you could lose your original copy. I'm not aware of any specific programmes that might serve your purpose
  • Try Media Monkey. There's a Windows version and a matching player for Android phones. I believe that Media Monkey converts M4a files when it adds them to an Android phone, so you wouldn't even need to convert them yourself. There are free and premium versions of both applications.

First of all, try putting an M4a file onto your phone to see if the player will play it. Does your phone even have a default music player? (For anyone, with their own library, the idea of a phone not having a music player is horrific. But in this age of streaming, it seems to be the current trend.)

------------- --------------

As an aside:

* Can you spot this anomaly in iTunes?

Notice that on the File menu the first of the sub-menus states Convert, which is incorrect (because that's not what iTunes actually does), while the next sub-menu tells you (correctly) that it will Create (make) a copy, in the new format. No wonder people get confused!

Convert entire library to mp3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.