Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change the user

I want to give my MacBook Air to the other. How do I reset the user after I install Mac OS

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 8:58 AM

Hi thenavi,

If you want to sell or give your Mac away to someone else, complete the steps in the articles below, depending on what version of macOS you're running. It is especially important to sign out of iCloud, so that Find My Mac and Activation Lock are disabled. Otherwise, the new owner can't use the Mac.

Use this if available: Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Once the erase process is complete, the Setup Assistant will start up. Select a language (if prompted), then press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. The new owner can then power it on and complete the Setup Assistant themselves.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 8:58 AM in response to thanavi

Hi thenavi,

If you want to sell or give your Mac away to someone else, complete the steps in the articles below, depending on what version of macOS you're running. It is especially important to sign out of iCloud, so that Find My Mac and Activation Lock are disabled. Otherwise, the new owner can't use the Mac.

Use this if available: Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Once the erase process is complete, the Setup Assistant will start up. Select a language (if prompted), then press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. The new owner can then power it on and complete the Setup Assistant themselves.

Dec 26, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Ozzie1910

Ozzie1910 wrote:

Go to system preferences in your Mac find users & accounts unlock with the passcode to do changes then do right click over your username advance options and there you can change the name

This is technically correct, but I would advise against this for two reasons:

• If you change the account name (not the full name), you also have to change the name of the home folder. Messing up this process will result in the account either being inaccessible, or it will lose admin privileges. The safest way to change the name of a user account is to follow the steps in this article: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

• It seems that OP intends to sell or give this Mac away to a new user. In this case, the entire Mac should be erased so that the new owner can start on a clean slate.

How to change the user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.