Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect USB C External SSD to Thunderbolt 2 port

I have a mac mini 6,1 connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display. I also have a 1TB USB C SSD that i want to connect to the Thunderbolt 2 port of my Thunderbolt display. My External SSD does NOT have its own power.

Can I do this? and how?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 7:13 AM

No sorry, you can only connect that 1T SSD to one of your Late 2012 Mac Mini's USB-A 3.0 ports using an adapter.

for one adapter example, see > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8G7663/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?

6 replies

Dec 26, 2021 10:39 AM in response to bobcollard

bobcollard wrote:

Apples and Oranges, not quite the same thing see this link:
USB-C vs. Thunderbolt: What's the Difference? (lifewire.com)
The chords may look the same and the sockets, but speeds and other things are different.

The real fact is that USB-C is strictly a connector specification only and not a transport specification for what is carried on that connector, which can literally be a myriad of things as the USB-C connector is meant to be a universal one size fits all any use connector and can have zero to do with USB at all.

Dec 27, 2021 9:06 AM in response to Killr_Bill

So I have after reading the replies on her and a bit of research, I have abandoned the idea of connecting an external USB C SSD to the Thunderbolt 2 port. I have bought a Samsung T7 USB C 1TB drive which come with a type C to type A cable included as well as a type C to type C cable and all is working well.

Thanks to all who replied.

[Edited by Moderator]

Connect USB C External SSD to Thunderbolt 2 port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.