Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive software for old Lacie drive

I have an old 200g Lacie d2 drive (1999) that I would like to use with my Mac running high sierra 10.13.6. The drive came with a CD to load software for Mac (Toast v.4.1.1 and Silverlining Pro v.6.3.1) but it does not load or open after inserting it into the drive. I have searched the internet for an upgraded version of the software but have had no luck. I have installed Lacie desktop manager 3.0 but I think because there is no driver software on the hard drive the Lacie desktop manager sees no device and the OS X disk utility software does not show the drive. Please HELP.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:54 PM

Of the two pieces of software bundled on the CD, Toast is a CD burning application and is not necessart to operate the disk: updated versions are on sale. Silverlining was for formatting or partitioning the disk.

In theory the disk should work without drivers. You have to turn it on by pressing the LED button for a second, and you should make sure the connecting cable is properly seated. If you can get it to appear in Disk Utility you can reformat it to HFS+

See if this page helps:

https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/support/kb/how-do-i-install-a-drive-on-mac-os-x-007025en/

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 1:54 PM in response to rjstrle

Of the two pieces of software bundled on the CD, Toast is a CD burning application and is not necessart to operate the disk: updated versions are on sale. Silverlining was for formatting or partitioning the disk.

In theory the disk should work without drivers. You have to turn it on by pressing the LED button for a second, and you should make sure the connecting cable is properly seated. If you can get it to appear in Disk Utility you can reformat it to HFS+

See if this page helps:

https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/support/kb/how-do-i-install-a-drive-on-mac-os-x-007025en/

Dec 26, 2021 3:59 PM in response to rjstrle

Had considered.. power supply to LaCie ~ going out. But you say it works.

Those are more important than substantiating an unworkable format.

An inexpensive 2TB USB externally enclosed hard drive, can do the job;

while not my first choice, compromises often occur. Get more than one.

Every Mac or PC owner probably knows or thinks they should have spares.

[I've a few; not the best, in my estimation. OWC has some better examples.]

Dec 26, 2021 1:39 PM in response to rjstrle

Depending on the primary system you intent to use

with the LaCie vintage HDD, the format was probably

a basic HFS or Apple File System. Use Disk Utility from

the present system in your Mac. (High Sierra or before.)

Anyway, to use Disk Utility and reformat the HDD to

HFS+ should be very do-able. You may need to run

D.U. repairs on the drive before and after Formatting.

A newer macOS won't advantage an older format on

a very old drive; no point in going there. On the other

hand, if you were to use the old LaCie for antique Mac

OS 8/9 and early OS X; that'd be another matter.

Not sure what kind of hard drive software you imply.

There are brands of drive utilities; but those mostly

only complicate doing the basic chores; & only likely

just mess with use of the drive. [It needs reformatted.]

My old LaCie FW250GB 'porsche' still works great; has 4

G4 clone/systems to run old G4 hardware on mine. W/

original package with instructions! (& cost plenty, new.)

Good luck & happy trails! ☺︎

Dec 27, 2021 5:39 AM in response to K Shaffer

The power supply in new. I purchased a new one because the old one got wet (a flood) and died. I have come to the conclusion that it is the drive itself that has the problem. As K Shaffer has suggested I think that it is time for my frugal tendencies to be dampened down and for me go and buy a new "inexpensive 2TB USB externally enclosed hard drive." Thanks to all who have taken the time to consider and respond to my question/problem.

Hard drive software for old Lacie drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.