Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome not giving option for m1 version

I'm trying to load Google Chrome onto my macbook air with m1 chip and it isn't giving me the option to load the apple chip version of chrome it just downloads a googlechrome.dmg file.

Any ideas how I can force it to offer me the m1 version, or will it offer that when I open the dmg file? (From what I have seen on youtube it should offer the choice when you hit download for mac OS X 10.11 or later.)

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 3:13 PM

Hi happlenz,

I just downloaded Google Chrome from the download page, and it looks like the app inside the DMG is actually a Universal version of Google Chrome. This means that it can run natively on both Intel-based Macs and Macs with Apple silicon (M1 and future).

In the past, Google did offer two versions of Chrome to download. The Apple silicon (M1) version was actually a Universal version, but was twice as large as the Intel-only version.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 3:13 PM in response to happlenz

Hi happlenz,

I just downloaded Google Chrome from the download page, and it looks like the app inside the DMG is actually a Universal version of Google Chrome. This means that it can run natively on both Intel-based Macs and Macs with Apple silicon (M1 and future).

In the past, Google did offer two versions of Chrome to download. The Apple silicon (M1) version was actually a Universal version, but was twice as large as the Intel-only version.

Chrome not giving option for m1 version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.