Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos to external drive - nervous

Hey there, I'm an inexperienced Mac user, want to copy my entire photo library to an external drive (I have a Seagate 1TB external drive), but am nervous I'm going to accidentally delete them. My entire photo library is also currently in iCloud, what's the best, safest way for an inexperienced Mac user to copy them to the external drive?

Thanks in advance

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:59 PM

1. Make sure the disk is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs. You can format the drive using Disk Utility.
  2. Drag the Library to the external. That will copy it. So, before you delete the library on your internal drive you will have an opportunity to test the copied library prior to deleting anything.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2021 1:59 PM in response to MaritimeMama

1. Make sure the disk is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or apfs. You can format the drive using Disk Utility.
  2. Drag the Library to the external. That will copy it. So, before you delete the library on your internal drive you will have an opportunity to test the copied library prior to deleting anything.

Moving photos to external drive - nervous

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.