Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently when receiving a pdf file via email, I can view the pdf but when saving it shows as "locked" and requires the senders password. I need to fix this!

Recently when receiving a pdf file via email, I can view the pdf but when saving it shows as "locked" and requires the senders password.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 7:27 PM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2021 3:16 AM in response to MammothQuestion

PDF files can be purposefully Locked by the original maker/ sender of the PDF for a reason including not allowing the receiver to modify or alter the contents of the file.

Bank, Credit Card Companies, Financial Institutions or Government Agencies often do this Lock Protection.

Sometimes this can be gotten around by opening the PDF and export as Copy. The Copy will be amended to the Original Name of the file so may to identify. Then open the copy file and see what happens. Notation - good and strong Lock Protect will not be removed when Exporting as a copy.

Recently when receiving a pdf file via email, I can view the pdf but when saving it shows as "locked" and requires the senders password. I need to fix this!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.