Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i fix slow HomeKit connection?

Since the latest iOS update (15.2) I experience very slow connection when opening my home-app. It takes forever to link appliances etc. Known issue?

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 10:06 AM

The issue is neither a third party hub nor your wifi connection - the issue is with Apple HomeKit. There are countless threads about this issue. Once you have multiple apple devices that are Apple HomeKit Bridge enabled like Apple TV, HomePods, iPads etc....the HomeKit network starts to degenerate and it will take forever for HomeKit to connect to devices and execute commands and scenes. I assume that you have more than HomeKit Bridge enabled devices. Once you do that and the more of them you have, the longer it takes for HomeKit to connect to devices and execute commands including scenes. Its almost like the network of HomeKit Hub enabled devices is arguing which one is to send the request to a HomeKit enabled device. Resetting everything and restarting or deleting and start from scratch will not fix the issue. On top of that Apple's HomeKit ecosystem relies entirely on third party devices like light bulbs, switches and smart plugs as Apple does not make their own. So you are relying on 3rd party manufacturers to play nice with HomeKit and that does not always work.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2022 10:06 AM in response to elangsru

The issue is neither a third party hub nor your wifi connection - the issue is with Apple HomeKit. There are countless threads about this issue. Once you have multiple apple devices that are Apple HomeKit Bridge enabled like Apple TV, HomePods, iPads etc....the HomeKit network starts to degenerate and it will take forever for HomeKit to connect to devices and execute commands and scenes. I assume that you have more than HomeKit Bridge enabled devices. Once you do that and the more of them you have, the longer it takes for HomeKit to connect to devices and execute commands including scenes. Its almost like the network of HomeKit Hub enabled devices is arguing which one is to send the request to a HomeKit enabled device. Resetting everything and restarting or deleting and start from scratch will not fix the issue. On top of that Apple's HomeKit ecosystem relies entirely on third party devices like light bulbs, switches and smart plugs as Apple does not make their own. So you are relying on 3rd party manufacturers to play nice with HomeKit and that does not always work.

Mar 6, 2022 4:15 AM in response to elangsru

I don't agree - setting up the homekit from the scratch solves your problem for a week or two and then it starts to get slower and slower again. I am not talking about 1-2 seconds, I am talking about 30 seconds or more. This can also cause problems if you have shortcuts that wait for other devices as there will be time-outs and other errors.

I have 3 Homepod-minis, 2 Homepods, 2 ATV, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones - deactivating the devices that you can deactivate doesn't solve the problem either. Homekit started to get slow after two weeks after installation of ATV 4K last fall - in the meantime I have reinstalled everything from the scratch twice and after two weeks the system is slow like the first time I observed that problem. I also suspect there is a problem in Homekit itself.

Dec 27, 2021 6:40 PM in response to elangsru

Hello elangsru,

We understand that you have some concerns regarding the responsiveness of the Home app. We're happy to offer some direction.

The first step we recommend is restarting your device to see if the behavior improves at all. If you are seeing this behavior in other apps, your battery life or available storage may also be a potential cause. See iPhone Battery and Performance for additional information on how battery life can impact performance.

Another step you may consider is removing the Home app from your device and reinstalling it, per Delete built-in Apple apps from the Home Screen on your iOS 14 or later or iPadOS device or Apple Watch. Please note that this step may require you to reconfigure your Home app and all accessories and automations or scenes you've set up.

If you still see the described behavior, use the link at the bottom of either article or in the top right of this page to contact our support to investigate further.

Cheers!

Jan 3, 2022 10:49 PM in response to Bill_T1

I have tried several things like, restart wifi/router, restart ikea hub, reinstalled ikea home app etc. I will also try removing the apple home app as you mentioned. The only thing preventing me from doing the whole setup again is that it seems to work using cellular access (via my Apple TV). Meaning when I turn off wifi on my devices it connects instantly.

Same happens when I create a guest wifi on my network. The connection is much faster. BUT when I give access to the IKEA hub on my guest network it goes back to being super slow.

We also experience the same slow connection on all other iPhones and iPads (we have got 8 of them)

Using only the ikea home app also works fine...

I also read somewhere that turning off Private wifi address would help, but I can't say I experience much difference.

Jan 4, 2022 12:48 PM in response to elangsru

Welcome back elangsru,

From the details provided, it appears this concern may be isolated to the hub you mentioned. It may become necessary to consult the manufacturer of that device or software for advanced troubleshooting.

If the proposed steps don't correct the behavior you're reporting, use Apple - Support to connect with our teams to investigate further.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2022 10:24 AM in response to Thomas361

You are correct. I did it twice: completely erased my home, deleted the home app, reset all HomePods and smart devices, downloaded the home app and set up all smart accessories from scratch. Worked for a few days then it started slowing down again at times to a point it’s unusable. But hey Siri will now speak to you in a gender neutral voice so all good right?

How do i fix slow HomeKit connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.