Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option key doesn't present boot options

When I press the Option(Alt) key on startup, I never get any boot options. The screen stays black. Command-R works to bring up recovery mode, and in recovery mode, I don't see any bootable disks other than the HDD. I followed How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support to create a bootable USB installer using Monterey. I also checked to make sure the firmware boot protection is off.

I have a Mac mini Late 2014 with Monterey (12.0.1)

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 5:59 AM

SOLVED ... SORT OF!

Just as a random attempt, did not expect to work, but from the Apple menu in Recovery mode I simply selected Restart, then pressed the Alt (Option) key. This time the boot options came up!

7 replies

Dec 27, 2021 5:57 AM in response to restofpaul

No further, but more data:

1. I started in Recovery mode with the USB Flash drive installed.
  2. I opened Disk Utility and looked at the info for the USB Flash Drive:
    • System: macOS 12.1
    • File system: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    • Writable: Yes
    • Volume capacity: ~16GB
    • Available space: ~2.5 GB
    • Bootable: Yes

But, yet, when I use Apple menu --> Startup Disk ..., Only the HDD is shown, not the USB Flash. It doesn't exactly explain why the Option key startup doesn't present the boot menu, but it is suspicious.

Dec 27, 2021 4:13 AM in response to restofpaul

restofpaul wrote:

When I press the Option(Alt) key on startup, I never get any boot options. The screen stays black. Command-R works to bring up recovery mode, and in recovery mode, I don't see any bootable disks other than the HDD. I followed How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support to create a bootable USB installer using Monterey. I also checked to make sure the firmware boot protection is off.

I have a Mac mini Late 2014 with Monterey (12.0.1)

The Mac Mini from 2014 AFAIK - does not have the Secure Enclave chip so that would not be a factor.

Is one using a Bluetooth Keyboard - perhaps a USB Wired keyboard may better suit what one is attempting to achieve.

PS. Monterey 12.0.1 is out dated and on Monday Dec 13, 2021 the update 12.1 was released which bring some bug fixes.

Dec 27, 2021 4:36 AM in response to restofpaul

Did using wired keyboard and resetting SMC and PRAM and connecting the USB flash drive to the Mac's USB port help?

Did the Terminal issue any warnings when making the bootable flash drive (you did download the around ~10 GB installer, not the tiny stub installer)? Option-boot should at least show your regular internal boot volume.

My Mac mini 2018 initially had a firmware issue that presented only a black screen in these special boot sequences until I noticed that re-connecting the LG Thunderbolt cable did then display the screen (several months later a Mojave FW update fixed that).

Dec 27, 2021 5:35 AM in response to restofpaul

I'm getting the same result even if I disconnect the USB Flash Drive (which was directly connected). I'm also using a fairly standard Dell 105 key USB wired keyboard. And again, Command-R works to bring up the recovery menu, so I think the keyboard is good. Something is wrong with my BIOS or other logic board problem.

I also turned my monitor on and off to wake it - but still shows no signal. The power light remains on, but no hard drive activity.

There were no warnings creating the USB installer, which I did install the full 12 GB Monterey installer, but that's irrelevant because I can't even get to the point to select a boot device.

What are the instructions to reset the SMC and PRAM, and what are any side effects of doing this, and is it likely to help?

Option key doesn't present boot options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.