Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

In the past day my Mac has started to freeze up and I can't do anything but shut it off by holding down the power button nothing else does anything. Is there anything that I can do? Besides restarting it every time this happens. Thank you in advance for any help

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 12:46 PM

I would like to thank you for all of your advice and somewhere along the line something worked I don’t know which one. But thank you very much it is no longer freezing up while I am on safari. Thank you I appreciate it

2 replies

Dec 27, 2021 10:20 AM in response to Chefskeeter

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the laptop has the same issue. If Safe Mode works, then maybe you have an issue with some third party software. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then a summary of the recent system logs will also be included which may contain important clues.

Boot into Recovery Mode/Internet Recovery Mode or into a bootable macOS USB installer to run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. You may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone.

A 15" Apple laptop is also known to have GPU issues. You may want to try forcing the laptop to sue the Intel GPU instead of the discrete GPU by using the gfxCardStatus app:

https://gfx.io

It also never hurts to perform an SMC Reset or a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least three chimes).

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.