Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install a macOS Monterey on a new Mac from the Internet Recovery

How to install a macOS Monterey on a new Mac from the Internet Recovery. It only offers Big Sur, which is pre-installed.

Do I have to install Big Sur and then upgrade to Monterey and then can I (possibly) do a clean install Monterey?

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 7:52 AM

MichaMart wrote:

How to install a macOS Monterey on a new Mac from the Internet Recovery. It only offers Big Sur, which is pre-installed.
Do I have to install Big Sur and then upgrade to Monterey and then can I (possibly) do a clean install Monterey?

Yes, you have to first install Big Sur. Once you do that the Internet Recovery will offer Monterey.

You can also Download Monterey, create a bootable USB install media, Boot from that media and the erase the startup disk and install Monterey.

https://www.macworld.com/article/548920/how-to-macos-monterey-bootable-installer-drive.html

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 7:52 AM in response to MichaMart

MichaMart wrote:

Yes, you have to first install Big Sur. Once you do that the Internet Recovery will offer Monterey.

You can also Download Monterey, create a bootable USB install media, Boot from that media and the erase the startup disk and install Monterey.

https://www.macworld.com/article/548920/how-to-macos-monterey-bootable-installer-drive.html

Dec 27, 2021 8:01 AM in response to MichaMart

If the computer is already running Big Sur and intended to upGrade to Monterey - make sure the Big Sur is as up to date as possible. Monday Dec 13, 2021 there was Big Sur 11.6.2 released.

Have seen some users attempting to upgrade to Monterey with an out dated version of Big Sur and the upGrade to Monterey has failed.

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Dec 27, 2021 9:26 AM in response to MichaMart

I have a new MacBook Air with M1 on which Big Sur is pre-installed.
I was just wondering what is the fastest way to get Monterey on it.

Download the installer from the App Store. That is the correct way and fastest way.

Using Internet Recovery like on an Intel Mac (opt-cmd-R) is not an option.

Why do you wish to use Internet Recovery? I can't understand why you would want to do that.

You can't get to Recovery on an M1 Mac using cmd-r or cmd-opt-r. Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

Dec 27, 2021 8:23 AM in response to MichaMart

I have a new MacBook Air with M1 on which Big Sur is pre-installed.

I was just wondering what is the fastest way to get Monterey on it. Using Internet Recovery like on an Intel Mac (opt-cmd-R) is not an option.

The procedure to install Big Sur first, install updates, then only download and install Monterey is quite lengthy and I already have one upgrade on the machine, which just bothers me.

So I'm left with the option of installing from USB and then possibly Recovery Install ...

Dec 27, 2021 9:42 AM in response to MichaMart

If you have read certain websites about installing Monterey from the Recovery Mode on Big Sur - those reports are not too well documented as functioning.

Yes, some claim - unconfirmed - if running Big Sur 11.6.1 and do the Reinstall Big Sur from Recovery Mode will actually install Monterey.

My suggestion is to keep to the Confirmed Methods presented here on these forums.

How to install a macOS Monterey on a new Mac from the Internet Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.