Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Documents and Data greatly exceeds total of conversations/Photos/Videos/Other

I'm trying to free up some space on my iPhone. When I go to Settings->General->iPhone Storage->Messages it says Documents and Data of 640MB even though I have deleted most conversations. Under "Documents" it lists:

Top Conversations 16.9MB

Photos 13.5MB

Videos 3.5MB

Other 129KB

The sum of these is dramatically less than 640MB. I also have Messages set to use iCloud.

I have done a forced restart and nothing changed.

Ideas?

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 11:18 AM

This is Documents & Data listed under Settings->General->iPhone Storage->Messages. Why would the iPhone list other apps' data in this screen? Each app is listed under Settings->General->iPhone Storage and the relevant "Documents & Data" for each is shown when an app is selected (as well as, in certain circumstances, the "App Size".

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 11:18 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

This is Documents & Data listed under Settings->General->iPhone Storage->Messages. Why would the iPhone list other apps' data in this screen? Each app is listed under Settings->General->iPhone Storage and the relevant "Documents & Data" for each is shown when an app is selected (as well as, in certain circumstances, the "App Size".

Dec 27, 2021 12:54 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

"Documents & Data is the TOTAL data usage of all apps on your phone. It is not just the usage of messages"

No. It breaks it down by app. Have you looked?

You are wrong on iCloud as well. The WHOLE point of iCloud storage for, say, Photos, iCloud Drive etc is to offload them to the cloud and so not consume storage on the iPhone. Only photos being viewed are downloaded locally. IOS 11+ introduced the ability to have Messages stored on iCloud to free up local storage as well.

Dec 27, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Steve Kale

Steve Kale wrote:

You are wrong on iCloud as well. The WHOLE point of iCloud storage for, say, Photos, iCloud Drive etc is to offload them to the cloud and so not consume storage on the iPhone. Only photos being viewed are downloaded locally. IOS 11+ introduced the ability to have Messages stored on iCloud to free up local storage as well.

I am absolutely, positively NOT wrong about that the WHOLE point of iCloud storage is SYNC, not offloading iPhone storage. If you go on believing you are right you are going to lose a lot of data that you think you saved to iCloud.

The evidence is right here in the forum, with regular cries of anguish from people who thought what you think, deleted stuff from their phone “knowing” it would be stored in iCloud, then crying because it wasn’t. Why don’t you try for yourself? Enable contact sync, open Contacts, create a new contact, then go to iCloud.com and view the contact. Now delete it from your phone and try to find it in icloud.com. Try it with photos, also. Delete a photo from your phone, then try to find it in iCloud. You can try it with Messages also; delete a message thread, then try to recover it from iCloud. You can’t. While you can’t view messages in icloud.com, you can see them in other iOS devices if you have any.

But, as you know better, there’s no point in my continuing in this thread. You will find out for yourself in time that I am correct.

BTW, read the appletoolbox link carefully; the headline does not agree with the text, which says the same thing I said.

Dec 27, 2021 11:30 AM in response to Steve Kale

Because there are other documents and data on your phone that are either shared not part of any app or listed with the app. Open the Files app to see some of this data. And when you tap on an app you will see a listing for documents & data for each app. Surely you have more apps in that list than top conversations, photos, videos and other. I have about 300 apps listed. But even if I only include the built in apps there are a couple of dozen.

Dec 27, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Of course I have more apps. I am looking specifically at the storage used by the app Messages. In total I have 253 GB used while iPhone Storage shows the app "Messages" is using, now, 637.8 MB (of that total of 253 GB). Click on Messages and it shows Documents & Data used by Messages of 637.8 MB and then lower down breaks down Documents into the categories listed above. They total a mere 34MB. What is the additional 604 MB of "Documents & Data" used by the app Messages?

Dec 27, 2021 5:34 PM in response to Steve Kale

The articles are wrong.

I finally see where you are looking. I missed it before, for which I apologize. Mine shows something completely different. It’s clear to me that they are not additive: It’s the listed items PLUS Documents & Data, so Documents & Data is all of the message content that is not Top Conversations, Photos, Videos and Other.

Dec 27, 2021 12:19 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Why would I want to do that? I'm trying to reduce the storage consumed by the app Messages. I can proceed down the list of other apps if I want (and have done so with some) removing data and documents to free up storage. If the storage listed as consumed by the app Messages is indeed Documents & Data then deleting messages or deleting large attachments ought to reduce it. Deleting all of them should reduce that figure to zero. Also, if I turn on (as I now have) using iCloud to store messages that should reduce the storage used on the iPhone by Messages' Documents & Data (close to zero). I can only conclude that the 638 MB used isn't just Documents & Data but largely (if not all) the app itself. In contrast to looking at, for example, the app Podcasts, iPhone Storage doesn't break down the storage being used separately into "App Size" and "Documents & Data".

Dec 27, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Steve Kale

Documents & Data is the TOTAL data usage of all apps on your phone. It is not just the usage of messages. It is pointless to compare the size of Documents & Data to the data size of any one app. Other than Media, Photos, Books and Apps (which is only the size of the app code, not data) all other content on the phone is lumped together into Documents & Data.

And no, using iCloud does not reduce the storage needs of any app on the phone. iCloud is a syncing app; it mirrors what is on your phone, it doesn’t offload data from your phone. It’s purpose is to make content available across multiple devices, so any data on your phone is also visible on your iPad, your Mac, on https://icloud.com and your PC if you install iCloud for Windows on it. If you delete something from your phone it is also deleted from iCloud and all of the other devices you sync to iCloud. The only exception is photos; you can choose Optimize Storage in Settings/[your name]/iCloud/Photos and it will save lower resolution, compressed images on the phone, but keep the full sized images in iCloud.

Dec 27, 2021 1:08 PM in response to Steve Kale

An example (there are many others):

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-delete-iphone-messages-documents-data/

"Another benefit of Messages in iCloud?

Space. Apple created Messages in iCloud for folks who own iPhones and iPads that are limited on internal storage (we’re talking about those 16 or 32 GB iDevices.)

With this small change, you can offload all those texts to your iCloud storage account."

Perhaps these and other websites discussing the same topic are wrong.

Messages Documents and Data greatly exceeds total of conversations/Photos/Videos/Other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.