Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 13 Pro 240fps Slo Mo Jittery and Only Recording 177fps

Hi,

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 11 Pro to a 13 Pro and noticed that when I record 240fps slo mo videos, they seem jittery compared to what I used to get with my 11 pro. I took a look at the recorded video file details and found that they are only recording at 177fps. I'm guessing it's trying to record at 240fps but dropping frames so ending up with a jittery 177fps. I went back and checked videos that I had recorded with my old 11 pro and they all report 240fps and play smooth as expected. Anyone else seen this issue?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:59 PM

Simple test as proposed above succeeded: I restarted the phone and the first time I can see the iPhone's own camera to take 240 fps (239,68)! Strange. This seems to be a bug. Hopefully Apple gives fixing update for this.

12 replies

Feb 4, 2022 6:49 PM in response to neemad

I have the same issue and power cycling only temporarily works. I’ve had 6 calls with Apple support and sent them videos recorded from my iPhone 13 pro max and iPhone XS Max for them to compare and even though they are noticeably and absolutely playing back at different speeds (iPhone 13 plays back much faster and with less clarity) Apple support is telling me this is “to be expected”.

I’ve asked 6 times now whether or not there was a change to apple’s slow motion playback speed between the iPhone 13 and prior models (as it’s not mentioned anywhere in any of the product specs Apple publishes) and they’ve refused to answer this question.

Jan 14, 2022 7:49 PM in response to neemad

The writer is really right. I bought iPhone 13pro on Oct 2021. I found recently the same issue and checked all my >100 slow motion videos, all recorded 1080p/240 as I thought: according to camera roll info they are all recorded 162...177 FPS. I use the phone in my profession for analysis and this is really disturbing. iPhone's own camera at slow motion has this issue. Also ProCamera app (with manual shutter speed control, what I need) fails in the sam way. But surprise my work around is at the moment ProMovie app, which records 240 fps (videos uploaded to photos and checked from info). The first reaction from Apple support seems to be to give basic info how to use the camera. We can forgive them. Anyhow I contacted Apple support but they directed me to a special team. Unfortunately I am now couple months in China and they couldn't call back me (normal). This may be even guarantee issue when I have possibility the deal with the supplier in Finland. By the way my old iPhone X did 240 fps without any issues.

Jan 12, 2022 7:21 AM in response to ryane77

First of all, that link is dead. By the title, it sounds like you pointed me to a page that gives you instructions on how to use your iPhone camera. I know how to use the camera. There’s a genuine bug here that I’ve now confirmed exists on 3 different IPhone 13 Pros. Power cycling the phone seems to somewhat relieve the problem temporarily (gives me 232fps instead of 177fps) but after some time, recording slomos at 240fps goes back to the jittery 177fps. Please apple, investigate this

Feb 4, 2022 7:40 PM in response to chip173

You are right. Restart helps only temporarily. I checked after reading this and my iPhone 13 pro recorded this time 208 fps. After restart back again 240 fps. Odd and disturbing. I really need 240 fps at work so need to be followed all the time. I am disappointed what you got from Apple. That is not an acceptable reply. This is an issue of recording speed, not playback speed. The info of the Photos tells immediately fps of the recording. The playback counter shows seconds during the playback (speed is always 30 fps) and to calculate corresponding real time you need to know the fps of the video. In a 240 fps video 1s playback corresponds 30/240=0,125 s in reality. In the same way in a 208 fps video 1 s corresponds 30/208= 0,144 s in reality. For any kind of analysis you need to know this.

Dec 28, 2021 11:18 AM in response to neemad

Hello neemad,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you're having some issues with your iPhone camera, and we'd like to help. Please take a look at the following article: Take videos with your iPhone camera

Under "Record a slow motion video", you will find more about this.

If you need any other assistance, please Contact Apple Support.

Take care.

Iphone 13 Pro 240fps Slo Mo Jittery and Only Recording 177fps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.