Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Behavior of app windows & mouse

I got a new MacBook Pro for Christmas! Yay! But it's got some behaviors I'm not familiar with.

My question today is about "disappearing" windows. Sometimes when I move my mouse, the window will slide up and to the left, leaving just a small strip showing. I can click on that strip and it comes back, but I'd really like to have this not happen. If I want to minimize a window, I'll click on the yellow dot, otherwise I'd like it to stay open.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here, and where the option controls are for it? TIA for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 5:44 PM

Yes, this is a feature of mission control called Show Desktop. It is triggered by a 4 finger outward pinch on the trackpad. There may be a keyboard shortcut set in Mission Control in System Preferences, and you can disable the trackpad gesture in System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > Show desktop. Hope this helps.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 5:44 PM in response to Godzilla42

Yes, this is a feature of mission control called Show Desktop. It is triggered by a 4 finger outward pinch on the trackpad. There may be a keyboard shortcut set in Mission Control in System Preferences, and you can disable the trackpad gesture in System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > Show desktop. Hope this helps.

Dec 27, 2021 6:35 PM in response to a brody

Dear a brody,

I went to System Prefs > Mission Control. I didn't see anything that looked like it controlled the behavior I'm seeing.

Here's a picture of what the screen looks like after I've moved the mouse up and to the left. (I just captured the upper 1/3rd, to show the little bit of window peeking out from under the Menu Bar.) (It's that gray sliver.)

Behavior of app windows & mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.