Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Padlock prevents Disk Recovery access.

I have purchased a used iMac 2019 running Big Sur. I decided to upgrade to Monterey but found the upgrade stuck during the installation process. I am unable to access Disk Recovery as my account passwords do not work. I read an earlier blog which suggested the previous owner may have not adequately cleaned the iMac sufficiently to eliminate his passwords.

The iMac has re-started and I believe the Installation process is stuck during the stage of Monterey being written onto the HDD. This suggests Big Sur will no longer function.

Does anyone have idea’s for a work around?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 11:26 PM

Postscript and Solution.

A colleague with experience in Big Sur dropped round to help me out. Seeing the iMac stuck at partial installation he asked me to re-start disk recovery. I did so and there was the padlock. “Now enter your password, no not your Administrator password or your Apple Account password; your EFI Firmware password”. Happily, I remembered it and did so, and there we were in familiar territory of disk recovery. I erased the internal disk with Disk Utility and rebuilt using Big Sur from my SSD backup drive. All that was dark is now light.

The problem was simply my unfamiliarity with Big Sur. How easily one can be blind-sided by a new system.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 11:26 PM in response to Australopithicus01

Postscript and Solution.

A colleague with experience in Big Sur dropped round to help me out. Seeing the iMac stuck at partial installation he asked me to re-start disk recovery. I did so and there was the padlock. “Now enter your password, no not your Administrator password or your Apple Account password; your EFI Firmware password”. Happily, I remembered it and did so, and there we were in familiar territory of disk recovery. I erased the internal disk with Disk Utility and rebuilt using Big Sur from my SSD backup drive. All that was dark is now light.

The problem was simply my unfamiliarity with Big Sur. How easily one can be blind-sided by a new system.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 27, 2021 5:50 PM in response to Australopithicus01

Because a computer that is not properly setup for sale or trade-in leave you with a mess that is extremely difficult to clean up, it leaves parts of his AppleID attached to it, it is not logged out of important accounts and basically create a huge mess for the next owner, in this case you.

It sounds like you are not 100% sure the previous owner did what was outlined in Apple advice letter I referred to. That means you need to do it which is what I would recommend you do before you go any further, at least then you know for sure you are starting off with a fresh system.

Best of luck.

Dec 29, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Australopithicus01

Australopithicus01 wrote:

Seeing the iMac stuck at partial installation he asked me to re-start disk recovery. I did so and there was the padlock. “Now enter your password, no not your Administrator password or your Apple Account password; your EFI Firmware password”. Happily, I remembered it and did so, and there we were in familiar territory of disk recovery.

Since you are not the original owner of this Mac, make sure never to forget the firmware password or you will never be able to remove it. Apple won't remove it for you since you will not have the necessary proof of purchase to prove to Apple that you are the legal owner of this Mac.

Dec 29, 2021 5:07 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the tip HWTech.

Bit like file vault! When I set up Big Sur I was unaware of the significance of Firmware security and created a password as a cautionary move. Having been locked out of the Mac, once I gained access I turned firmware protection off. Since reading more about it I realise it is unnecessary for a single user such as I.

Lessons learned through harsh experience are usually well remembered. I commit your point to memory.

Best Wishes.

Dec 29, 2021 6:55 PM in response to Australopithicus01

Keep in mind anyone with access to your Mac can turn on the firmware lock. In some ways having it locked with a firmware password you know will prevent the Mac from being locked by a password you don't know. Although I believe macOS 11.x+ does make users authenticate before booting into Recovery Mode so only people that know an admin password for any admin user accounts on your Mac would be able to even boot into Recovery Mode to enable a firmware lock if I'm remembering this correctly (less risky than it was with older versions of macOS depending on who has admin access for your Mac).

If you bought your used Mac directly from Apple, then you should have valid proof of purchase which should make all this a non-issue.

Dec 29, 2021 9:37 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks again HWTech. I have not read about those details. As a second owner and a long time Mac user (30 years), the ease with which one managed the OS security has increased from incremental in early iterations of OSX to complex and more thorough with the implementation of T2 in Monterey. And with double layer sign-in the whole Mac experience is much like Google.

I long for a simpler life but I will not get it from digital technology where ongoing security battles make life so complicated.

My copy of OS11 allows me to access DiskRecovery without a log-in. Of course I have to log into my Mac account before accessing Disk Recovery. I note Big Sur does not allow Automatic Log-in which may be what you are referring to in your observations.

Thank you for your helpful comments.

Cheers,

Padlock prevents Disk Recovery access.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.