Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey installation freezes, probably due to disabled Secure Boot, can't modify it, though

Erased the disk, then I launch Monterey installation from the Recovery Mode, then it immediately freezes every time. I hypothesized that it might be due to the fact that I disabled Secure Boot while using the Mac. To test it, upon entering the Recovery Mode, I went to Utilities > Secure Boot but it gave me an error that it can't find an administrator account on the machine, so I can't even see the Secure Boot settings, let alone change it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 10:00 AM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

should help you establish an administrator password for your Mac. Once you have that, then the administrator to manage secure boot will help.

Note if you tied your Mac to an Apple ID, that account may be registered as the administrator. AppleID is the same ID you use to open iCloud, and Apple Support Communities.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 10:00 AM in response to wizard_farmer

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

should help you establish an administrator password for your Mac. Once you have that, then the administrator to manage secure boot will help.

Note if you tied your Mac to an Apple ID, that account may be registered as the administrator. AppleID is the same ID you use to open iCloud, and Apple Support Communities.

Jan 15, 2022 10:02 AM in response to wizard_farmer

The other thing to keep in mind before you upgrade, you must backup your data. While this is a moot point since you erased your drive, it should help others who run into the same issue. There is really no reason to erase your drive before upgrading, unless you are sure you don't have sufficient space to install, and you want a quick way to have a clean slate. When you do this, make sure your backup is cloned in two different places before you erase.

Monterey installation freezes, probably due to disabled Secure Boot, can't modify it, though

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.