Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting a SSD drive w/Monterey

I can not format a SSD drive on my husband's new MacBook Pro running Monterey. Disk Utility freezes, and I have to force quit it. I assume this is a software glitch. Is there a fix?

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 8:42 PM

I went to the SanDisk site (Thanks lllaass!) and looked at the comments and suggestions there (actually decided to return the drive). I had tried to format it on my old MacPro running Big Sur yesterday, but had used HFS+. Got further than having to force quit out of Disk Utility and Time Machine on the new computer. Time Machine just quit without freezing, progress. I then decided to format the drive on my old machine as an APFS drive. Success! Time machine appears to be creating a backup as I type. Thanks for the help! Cheers, Dana

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 8:42 PM in response to PRP_53

I went to the SanDisk site (Thanks lllaass!) and looked at the comments and suggestions there (actually decided to return the drive). I had tried to format it on my old MacPro running Big Sur yesterday, but had used HFS+. Got further than having to force quit out of Disk Utility and Time Machine on the new computer. Time Machine just quit without freezing, progress. I then decided to format the drive on my old machine as an APFS drive. Success! Time machine appears to be creating a backup as I type. Thanks for the help! Cheers, Dana

Formatting a SSD drive w/Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.