You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Other' storage

Folks, I do appreciate that much of the advice here is not to download programs like Clean My Mac, and that Macs do come with pretty good clutter reduction/cleaning tools. However, I'm yet to find one that will deal with my issue. None of the Mac tools will help me remove 'other' files, which are now taking up more than 50% of my storage (64GB, in fact) and making my laptop churn. I barely have any files left on my computer anymore, as you can see, it's mostly apps and 'other'. I've already deleted the DMG files. How can I clean this out? Do I just need to reset my Mac and start from scratch?

Cheers

Mel

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 11:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 11:32 PM

Have a read of this:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

and note in particular:

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

(Emphasis added)

Essentially the OS manages that space dynamically, reducing it as you need more and so on.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2021 11:32 PM in response to madimg

Have a read of this:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

and note in particular:

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

(Emphasis added)

Essentially the OS manages that space dynamically, reducing it as you need more and so on.

'Other' storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.