Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if I have transferred my information from my old iphone to my new iphone and the new phone is working fine do I need to put the sim card into the new phone?

I previously transferred all information from my old phone. However, I removed the sim card in preparing the old phone for return. Does this need to be placed into my new phone?

what does a sim card do?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:42 AM

The SIM card identifies your account to your carrier so you can get voice, text and data service over the cellular network. An iPhone 13 supports an “eSIM” capability, that does not require a physical SIM card. This must be activated by your carrier, but if you see the carrier’s name and signal bars at the top of the screen when you open the Control Center by dragging down from the top right corner they have already activated it, and you don’t need the old SIM. If the new phone does not show the carrier name put the old SIM in the new phone to activate cellular service.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 7:42 AM in response to PleaseDirect

The SIM card identifies your account to your carrier so you can get voice, text and data service over the cellular network. An iPhone 13 supports an “eSIM” capability, that does not require a physical SIM card. This must be activated by your carrier, but if you see the carrier’s name and signal bars at the top of the screen when you open the Control Center by dragging down from the top right corner they have already activated it, and you don’t need the old SIM. If the new phone does not show the carrier name put the old SIM in the new phone to activate cellular service.

if I have transferred my information from my old iphone to my new iphone and the new phone is working fine do I need to put the sim card into the new phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.