Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Each tine i've tried to download Monterey, I get an error message. I have enough space for the upgrade, so what is the problem?

My System Preferences shows that I can upgrade to Monterey. (I have Big Sur) but each time I try to download it, I get an error message. One error said the internet connection was not good. But when I tried again, several times, and mostly late evening, it still showed an error, but then didn't say what the error was. What am I doing wrong? (And besides, it's supposed to update automatically)

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 2:48 PM

I suggest trying one or both of the following:

• Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode. Then try upgrading again.
  • If not already, connect your Mac by Ethernet. Then try upgrading again.
10 replies

Dec 29, 2021 1:28 AM in response to Grand_15_ma

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Also uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Further, you need an Apple disk installed to upgrade to Monterey since the upgrade includes an update to the Mac's firmware. That update looks for an Apple disk and write to the dick to do the firmware update. The install will terminate or freeze if no Apple disk.

Some users have problem with skipping upgrade versions and even not updating to the latest version of Big Sur.

Dec 29, 2021 2:22 AM in response to Grand_15_ma

Is Big Sur running the Most up to dated version 11.6.2 ?

Have seen numerous persons attempting to jump from Big Sur 11.3.1 or 11.4 and even 11.5. directly to Monterey and it will balk at installing Monterey.

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses and may corrupt the download

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Dec 29, 2021 12:45 PM in response to lllaass

Internet connection was mentioned in my first try to download Monterey, but not in later tries. Tesserax suggested an ethernet connection, also, and I'm going to try that, as soon as I can find my old Tiger cable, if I still have it. I'm not sure about AntiVirus Software, or any other software interfering.

Two of my memory slots are still available, if that means anything about space to do an upgrade.

Each tine i've tried to download Monterey, I get an error message. I have enough space for the upgrade, so what is the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.