Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all my non-OS files on startup disk missing in Monterey bafter Time Machine migration to M1 Mac

I used a Time Machine backup to migrate my Mojave MacBook Pro to my new Monterey M1 16" MacBook Pro. All of the files/folders that used to be on the startup disk top level are gone. All I have now is Users, Library, System and Applications. Any idea how to get them back?

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 4:34 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Starting in macOS Catalina, macOS uses a read-only system volume and user's files cannot be stored at the "root" or "top level" of your startup disk: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support.

Look for the files in a "Relocated Items" folder in the Shared folder within the User folder (/Users/Shared/Relocated Items), or for the alias on your desktop.

If they are not there, choose a new destination for these files, then use your Time Machine backup to Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support to the new location.

Jack

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 4:34 PM in response to macgrant6230

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Starting in macOS Catalina, macOS uses a read-only system volume and user's files cannot be stored at the "root" or "top level" of your startup disk: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support.

Look for the files in a "Relocated Items" folder in the Shared folder within the User folder (/Users/Shared/Relocated Items), or for the alias on your desktop.

If they are not there, choose a new destination for these files, then use your Time Machine backup to Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support to the new location.

Jack

all my non-OS files on startup disk missing in Monterey bafter Time Machine migration to M1 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.