Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air m1 battery reduced to 98% After 64 Cycles

I am a new mac user and I don't know if this is normal or not although I am charging it only if it is under 20% and I never use my mac while on the charger.

Can somebody help me to know if I have done something wrong?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 9:33 AM

devHunter wrote:
... I never use my mac while on the charger.

No reason at all to avoid that. The hardware and OS will charge the battery until full, the charging will cease, and you will simply be running off the power adapter.

Rechargeable batteries can quickly drop max charge capacity to a certain point and then last a long time at that state, last a long time near max capacity and then start to loose capacity, or they can just linearly lose capacity from day one and any other possible combinations.

In my opinion, check optimize battery charging and quite trying to micromanage your battery and just use the computer. When you reach a point when your operational time on battery does not meet your needs, then start to worry or simply replace the battery. Otherwise, happy computing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 9:33 AM in response to devHunter

devHunter wrote:
... I never use my mac while on the charger.

No reason at all to avoid that. The hardware and OS will charge the battery until full, the charging will cease, and you will simply be running off the power adapter.

Rechargeable batteries can quickly drop max charge capacity to a certain point and then last a long time at that state, last a long time near max capacity and then start to loose capacity, or they can just linearly lose capacity from day one and any other possible combinations.

In my opinion, check optimize battery charging and quite trying to micromanage your battery and just use the computer. When you reach a point when your operational time on battery does not meet your needs, then start to worry or simply replace the battery. Otherwise, happy computing.

MacBook Air m1 battery reduced to 98% After 64 Cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.