Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime screen video record no longer records sounds from computer apps, but only my voice

I am no longer able to get audio when I make a recording directly off the screen (I can record Sound externally, ie. myself talking, but not “internally”. Ive tried all the settings, and I’m sure all the volume levels are fine. This happens whether it’s QuickTime or the new Mojave “screen grab” method. Any suggestions? (I should add that the actual audio from the Mac is fine - it just won’t record). Thanks.

It's almost like there's noise-reduction, because I can BLAST YouTube loudly and when I talk through the cacaphony, there's NO WAY the music in the background doesn't get recorded also. So the Macbook is either using noise reduction to get my voice clean (but it doesn't even record the background music when I'm not talking), or the macbook is suppressing any noises made by applications and only recording the sounds in the room. It makes no sense the latter, so it has to be the former-- noise reduction. So how do I turn noise reduction off?

About a year ago I was able to cleanly record both my voice, and/or the noise coming from an application (like safari) that was playing on the mac. I believe the change occured with Monterey, which is what my M1 Macbook (early 2021 late 2020) is using.

Or it could just be that M1 chips and motherboard aren't able to walk and talk and chew gum at the same time. Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with M1-- as a side note.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 7:24 AM

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

then, to be able to record the internal audio as well as your microphone, it's slightly different. you need to set up an “Aggregate Device”

to set up an Aggregate Device:

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select “Create Aggregate Device”

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Aggregate Device tab, select “BlackHole 2ch” AND “Built-in Microphone”

then when you choose the recording options, select “Aggregate Device”.

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) choose “Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 7:24 AM in response to TenHanger

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

then, to be able to record the internal audio as well as your microphone, it's slightly different. you need to set up an “Aggregate Device”

to set up an Aggregate Device:

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select “Create Aggregate Device”

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Aggregate Device tab, select “BlackHole 2ch” AND “Built-in Microphone”

then when you choose the recording options, select “Aggregate Device”.

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) choose “Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

Quicktime screen video record no longer records sounds from computer apps, but only my voice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.