Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Mac desk top and I turned off the bluetooth and I turned off the wireless keyboard. When the Mac was turned off and then back on, it wants the password and I cant use the keyboard because the bluetooth is off. How do I sign in?

I have a Mac desktop and I turned off the bluetooth and I turned off the wireless keyboard. when the Mac off and then turned back on, it wants the password and I cant use the keyboard because the bluetooth is off. How do I sign in?

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 10:48 AM

If you have a new Magic keyboard and mouse? Plug them into your Mac using their charging cables.

If not, dig out, barrow, buy a USB keyboard and mouse to sign-in, then access and turn the Bluetooth back on.

FWIW most any inexpensive USB Generic or PC keyboard and mouse, will work with your Mac and handy to have around.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 10:48 AM in response to gea101

If you have a new Magic keyboard and mouse? Plug them into your Mac using their charging cables.

If not, dig out, barrow, buy a USB keyboard and mouse to sign-in, then access and turn the Bluetooth back on.

FWIW most any inexpensive USB Generic or PC keyboard and mouse, will work with your Mac and handy to have around.

Jan 12, 2022 8:20 PM in response to gea101

Some BT devices simply will not connect at startup if you have FileVault enabled. This is the case with my Logitech MX keyboard. (I think it's the "low-energy" BT driver that fails to mount, since older keyboards and mice will connect.)

I keep a wired keyboard under my desk, to use when re-booting - and try not to re-boot unless it's actually necessary.

My Mac is an M1 Mini, and draws next to no power when it's idle, so leaving it on is not an issue. If you have an Intel Mac, you can save energy by letting it go to sleep, or putting it to sleep (Apple menu) when you're done using it, so as to minimize the re-booting routine.

I have Mac desk top and I turned off the bluetooth and I turned off the wireless keyboard. When the Mac was turned off and then back on, it wants the password and I cant use the keyboard because the bluetooth is off. How do I sign in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.