Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall os X will not recognize

My sister gave my son her old MacBook. She erased before giving and I am having trouble reinstalling the OS X Mavericks. It will not recognize my Apple ID or my sister’s original Apple ID.

When I get to the reinstall point where I sign in to download the OS from the App Store, I enter my Apple ID and password but it says “Your Apple ID or password is incorrect”. I am sure it is correct and it sends an authorize use message to another device with a ID verification code. I have tried this numerous times with my Apple ID and my sister’s ID. We both get authorize use messages on our other Apple devices and a code to enter, but the MacBook still says the “Your Apple ID or password is incorrect”. If I click on the “forgot” link it does nothing and same with the Forgot Password pop up that come with two attempts.

I have set correct date and time in Terminal Function, used the disk utility to re-erase the drive, and to verify and repair the disk. The verify and repair checks show no problems.

Can anyone tell me how I can reinstall the OS? My sister does not have any physical disk with the OS and was the original owner.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 11:57 AM

Hey ClearOceanSky,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're trying to reinstall an older version of OS X on your older MacBook. We're happy to help.

In this case, it sounds like the Apple ID's have two-factor authentication enabled. Being that this is an older Mac, you won't see the normal box to enter the verification code during sign in. Instead, when you are prompted for your Apple ID password, enter the verification code immediately after the password. i.e. password123456 (no spaces). Be sure you are using the original Apple ID that was used with the Mac during the initial setup as well.

This is referenced under 'What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?' in: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Let us know how that goes.

Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 11:57 AM in response to ClearOceanSky

Hey ClearOceanSky,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're trying to reinstall an older version of OS X on your older MacBook. We're happy to help.

In this case, it sounds like the Apple ID's have two-factor authentication enabled. Being that this is an older Mac, you won't see the normal box to enter the verification code during sign in. Instead, when you are prompted for your Apple ID password, enter the verification code immediately after the password. i.e. password123456 (no spaces). Be sure you are using the original Apple ID that was used with the Mac during the initial setup as well.

This is referenced under 'What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?' in: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Let us know how that goes.

Regards.

Dec 30, 2021 7:14 PM in response to ClearOceanSky

Thank you. I coordinated with my sister, the original owner, entered her Apple ID and password and put the received code at the end of the password when i tried to resubmit it after it was first denied, and it worked. I would never have consider such an un-intuitive solution. I am so grateful for your help. Now have a functioning MacBook with OS X installed. Kudos!

reinstall os X will not recognize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.