Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot Encryption password

I have forgotten the backup encryption password

So I have “reset the Network settings”-which according to the instructions should erase the old encryption password and then I can back up on iTunes with a new encryption password

When I do that I keep getting the same message to put in my old encryption password despite successfully resetting the Netflix settings

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 4:46 PM

Nope. That's not how it works.

You can not reset the encryption password on an existing backup. You can change it for backups you make going forward, but not for existing backups. If you can't remember the password, you can not restore from that backup.

7 replies

Dec 29, 2021 6:41 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes I followed all the steps as in the support document

to turn off encryption or to erase previous backupups which encrypted iTunes keeps asking for encryption password-which obviously I have forgotten

So I have done the “reset Network settings”-Which is supposed to erase the encryption password

According to the document I could then do a NEW back up on iTunes and set up a new password for encryption — that’s where I’m having problem - keeps still asking for an “old encryption password”

How do I pass that point

Dec 29, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Ashkbans

If it is asking for the old encryption password, then the reset must not have removed the old one as indicated in the support document. Did everything about doing the reset on the phone work the way that it described in the document? If it is not allowing you to turn off backup encryption, then your can either make an iCloud backup, or you can use the Get Support link at the top of the page here and contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

Forgot Encryption password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.