Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch family member

still difficult to get a definitive answer:

noting the family member share setup option for apple watch with their apple ID,

can I call or message the person directly on their apple watch SE, and can they call or txt me when the watch is paired with my phone?

the concern is that: if the family member apple watch is paired with my iphone/number will the watch receive all incoming calls or txts intended for my phone/number even if the watch is set up with a separate apple ID?

with the apple watch set up on a different apple ID, will my child still be able to use apps purchased/down loaded on my apple ID?

can you please provide or link a list of "frequently asked questions" regarding the practicality of purchasing an apple watch SE for a child, in leu of a phone.

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 1:19 AM

Here's a place to start;

Set up Apple Watch for a family member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Yes, you can call and message the family member's watch and vice versa. That's one of the purposes for a family member watch, especially for a child or senior adult.

No, the family member watch will not be receiving the calls and messages intended for your phone.

The family member's watch is part of your family plan.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.3; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.2; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.2; HomePods, audioOS 15.2 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 1:19 AM in response to prue224

Here's a place to start;

Set up Apple Watch for a family member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Yes, you can call and message the family member's watch and vice versa. That's one of the purposes for a family member watch, especially for a child or senior adult.

No, the family member watch will not be receiving the calls and messages intended for your phone.

The family member's watch is part of your family plan.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.3; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.2; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.2; HomePods, audioOS 15.2 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

apple watch family member

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.