Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I pad mini storage full when it shouldn’t be

I’ve deleted all apps and data and finally did a factory reset. It showed it was successful and my storage went to 5.4 GB used from 16 available. Then all of a sudden, it showed full again and the media is what is showing to be a massive amount of space being used but I don’t have media on it and didn’t add anything after I’d reset it. Can anyone help me?

I am not sure how to check this so can any assistance be emailed to me please or I’d likely not be able to find this site and the answer again.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 11:00 PM

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

I suspect that you own a low storagr, 16 GBs iPad model.

5 replies

Dec 31, 2021 6:45 AM in response to Mitch0558

Welcome Mitch0558,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, after a factory reset, your iPad mini storage is being taken up by media. We'll do our best to assist with this.

Are you seeing this media, when you go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage? If so, what's taking up the most space exactly? It should provide you with a list of content ranging from the largest to smallest space taken by said content.

Did you sign in to iCloud or Apple Music, when you originally set it up? Did you restore from any back ups? We ask because signing in to iCloud or restoring a backup would slowly start taking up the available storage on the iPad itself, depending on your settings and backup data amount.

This may be able to help us out: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Hoping to hear back, take care!

Dec 31, 2021 9:06 PM in response to destiny241

thank you for your message! It shows media is taking up almost all the space but I don’t have any left on my iPad. I did back up from iCloud as I wanted my photos saved. Is it possible that previous media has been stored so keeps coming back? It appears by the reset prompts that I may lose all settings unless I back up. I’m fairly certain I can obtain the photos from I cloud with my Mac so should I do another restart with no back up?

Jan 1, 2022 11:13 AM in response to Mitch0558

You need to realise something here.

A 16 GBs storage iPad starts out, after initial drive formatting, at approx. 14.5 GBs of free, internal storage.

After the installation of iOS/iPadOS, at approx. 6-6.5 GBs, leaves 8.0 GBs of of free, internal data storage space.

iOS/iPadOS needs a minimum of 3-6 GBs of constant remaining storage, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to insure/ensure nominal, acceptable operation of all iOS/iPadOS functionalities.

This leaves a 16 GBs iPad with ONLY a practical, usable storage space of between 2 and 5 GBs AND THAT IS IT!

This is virtually NO internal data storage to do much of anything with that iPad!

This is why Apple quietly, silently did away with all 16 GBs iOS device back sometime in 2016.

I pad mini storage full when it shouldn’t be

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.