Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled tea on MacBook air

hi, I accidentally spilled tea on my desk around 8 hrs ago and it got near my MacBook Air, especially on the speakers and part of the keyboard. I dried everything out with a towel but there’s no water coming out of the ports at all. I’m sure the water got on the keyboard (maybe just a small section of it but still). Could it be that there’s no water inside or is it just a coincidence? Is there any way to tell if any water got on the inside?

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 10:23 PM

Unfortunately, even a small spill could have entered into the notebook. If (as Lanny) has mentioned that tea has sugar and/milk, there is a good chance that it will leave conductive residue even if all of the liquid evaporates over time.

The key is to stop using this notebook and keep it powered-off. Then make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options should any repairs be required. Note that liquid damage is not covered by the standard warranty, but you could get a significant reduction in repair costs if you elected to purchase an AppleCare+ plan (& is still active) with this notebook.

FWIW, I had a recent experience with my 2020 MacBook Pro where a small quantity of bottled water got spilled on its keyboard. I immediately powered-down the notebook and made arrangements to get it shipped to Apple for servicing. It turned out that that spill damaged, the display, logic board, and trackpad. All were replaced under AppleCare+. Unfortunately, not for free.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 10:23 PM in response to axeyr

Unfortunately, even a small spill could have entered into the notebook. If (as Lanny) has mentioned that tea has sugar and/milk, there is a good chance that it will leave conductive residue even if all of the liquid evaporates over time.

The key is to stop using this notebook and keep it powered-off. Then make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options should any repairs be required. Note that liquid damage is not covered by the standard warranty, but you could get a significant reduction in repair costs if you elected to purchase an AppleCare+ plan (& is still active) with this notebook.

FWIW, I had a recent experience with my 2020 MacBook Pro where a small quantity of bottled water got spilled on its keyboard. I immediately powered-down the notebook and made arrangements to get it shipped to Apple for servicing. It turned out that that spill damaged, the display, logic board, and trackpad. All were replaced under AppleCare+. Unfortunately, not for free.

Spilled tea on MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.