Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smb issues with Monterey

Getting a sense of deja vu with SMB mounts. I have several NAS drives (Qnap and Drobo) and a Windows 2016 server to which I can't copy files since upgrading to Monterey 12.1. Attempting to copy a file to a shared drive/folder results in the error "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.".

I remember this was an issue with 10.6 and the workaround was changing something in the smb.conf file.

This all worked fine before the 'upgrade' and my MacBook Pro which is still on Catalina still works fine.

The only workaround so far is copying the files to an ancient Seagate NAS then copying the files to the right place via either a Windows virtual machine or Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac or another machine.

One last thing I tried was copying the files directly from the Mac to the Shared folder/drive via Microsoft Remote Desktop on the Mac and getting the server to copy the files, but while copying the connecting keeps dropping to the server. This connection ONLY drops during a copy and this is all on a wired connection.

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 11:07 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 1, 2022 1:03 AM in response to faith185

Hi faith185, 

OK, yes I first checked the basics BEFORE I posted the question.  As I previously stated the destination(s) all work without issue from everything else just not my Mac Pro running Monterey.  The Source files (Word and Excel documents) I have created on the Mac so I have read/write access as owner to the file.  The account on the Server is a Global Admin account, and the shared folder has full access to Everyone set.

I have however found the following: -

https://stadt-bremerhaven.de/avm-fritzbox-smb-problem-mit-macos-12-monterey-und-wie-man-es-behebt/

As suggested there adding the two lines of

[default]

protocol_vers_map=2

To the  /etc/nsmb.conf file thus forcing Monterey to smb version 2, allows me to work with the files on the server.  Downside is that now the old Seagate NAS which only runs smb v1 is now not usable.  Thus, it would seem it is down to a bug with the SMB in Monterey.

Oh, well as they say "You win some and you loose some..."

smb issues with Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.