Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the cell format on opening a file for the first time?

My inventory software exports lists of products as a .csv file. When I open it in Numbers some of the cells that should be treated as text because they are part numbers are treated as numbers and the leading 0 is being stripped off & others are reformatted entirely.

Examples:

Part number "011065" shows up as part number "11065"

Part number "501002-SUR" shows up as part number "-SUR 501002.00"

This is upon opening the file for the first time so there's no way that I know of to change the cell formatting from Automatic to Text.

Am I missing something?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 8:09 AM

No you are not missing anything! Numbers tries to be helpful by making guesses about the data. But in some cases, such as yours, it is too helpful!

Here Numbers seems to be guessing that the SUR means the value in the cell is currency with the symbol SUR. And that values with a leading "zero" should be trimmed.

A simple way to restore leading "zeros" is to select the cells, then format at Numeral System and set Places to the number of characters you want.

Then you can set Text if you want, and the value will be left-aligned by default.

For the SUR do you have a lot of those? If not too many the easiest would be to fix them manually. If there are too many, post here and a short script can be suggested that will fix them.

It would be helpful if you could go to Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu and make a bug report about this problem.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 8:09 AM in response to travisroy

No you are not missing anything! Numbers tries to be helpful by making guesses about the data. But in some cases, such as yours, it is too helpful!

Here Numbers seems to be guessing that the SUR means the value in the cell is currency with the symbol SUR. And that values with a leading "zero" should be trimmed.

A simple way to restore leading "zeros" is to select the cells, then format at Numeral System and set Places to the number of characters you want.

Then you can set Text if you want, and the value will be left-aligned by default.

For the SUR do you have a lot of those? If not too many the easiest would be to fix them manually. If there are too many, post here and a short script can be suggested that will fix them.

It would be helpful if you could go to Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu and make a bug report about this problem.

SG

Dec 31, 2021 9:13 AM in response to travisroy

Below is a script that will import a CSV without interpreting anything, I think. It will create a new Numbers document and you can copy/paste the results from there. All cells will be formatted as text. You may have to format some columns as automatic or another format afterward for certain formulas to work on the data. For example, numeric formulas (SUM being one) will ignore cells with text "numbers".

If I recall, this script is a mix of stuff posted here and elsewhere and some of my own. I am sure it could be improved. It has two limitations, the biggest being no cell can have a carriage return in it.

• Open the Script Editor app
  • Create a new document
  • Paste the script below into it
  • Run it (hit the play button) and choose the file you want to import

If you like it,

1. Save it to username/Library/Scripts.
  2. Open preferences for the Script Editor app and check the box to show the Script menu in menu bar
  3. You should see an icon that looks like a scroll on the main menu bar near wifi, bluetooth, etc. You can run the script from there.

-- Import CSV File into Numbers

-- This script reads a user-selected CSV file, creates a new Numbers document, and
-- imports the contents of the CSV file into the Numbers document.
-- The algorithm first converts the file to a "Unicode character 0001" delimited string as it interprets the file. 
-- This means that "Unicode character 0001" is an unallowable character in the CSV file
-- Carriage return is an unallowed character in a CSV field, even if surrounded by quotes.
-- Latest addition is the ability to choose the CSV delimiter, though that code is commented out currently

set newTID to character id 1 --Unicode character 0001
set oldTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters

set csvFile to (choose file of type "CSV")
set csvText to read csvFile

-- If want user to select comma or semicolon as delimiter, swap the commenting of the next two lines 
set csvDelimiter to ","
--set csvDelimiter to (choose from list {",", ";"} with title "Delimiter" with prompt "Choose a delimiter" default items ",") as text

-- Convert the CSV text to delimited string with the specified delimiter. 
-- First turn it into an array of characters for easy mainipulation.
-- Pad the end with a null for the "quote test" portion of the algorithm.
-- Before converting back to a string, set the Applescript text delimiters to null so that no delimiters are put between characters

set theCharacters to characters of csvText
set end of theCharacters to ""

set i to 1
set openquote to false

repeat while i ≤ length of csvText
	if item i of theCharacters = "\"" then
		if openquote = true then
			if item (i + 1) of theCharacters = "\"" then
				set i to i + 1
			else
				set openquote to false
			end if
		else
			set openquote to true

end if

set item i of theCharacters to ""
	else if item i of theCharacters = csvDelimiter and openquote = false then
		set item i of theCharacters to newTID
	end if
	set i to i + 1
end repeat

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
set newText to theCharacters as string

-- Count paragraphs (rows in spreadsheet) and text items (columns in spreadsheet)
-- Use maximum number of text items to set number of columns, rather than add extra columns on the fly.

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to newTID

set rowCount to (count paragraphs in newText)
set maxColumns to 0
repeat with x from 1 to rowCount
	set columnCount to count text items in paragraph x of newText
	if columnCount > maxColumns then set maxColumns to columnCount
end repeat

--Create new Numbers document with correct sized table
--Set format of all cells to Text

tell application "Numbers"
	activate
	make new document at front
	delay 1
	tell document 1
		tell sheet 1
			delete every table
			make new table at front with properties ¬
				{row count:rowCount, column count:maxColumns, header column count:0, header row count:0}
			set format of every cell of table 1 to text
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

--Loop through paragraphs and delimited items of newText and place them in the correponding 
-- cells in the newly created table

repeat with nextRow from 1 to rowCount
	set columnCount to (count text items in paragraph nextRow of newText)
	repeat with nextColumn from 1 to columnCount
		set nextValue to text item nextColumn of paragraph nextRow of newText
		tell application "Numbers" to tell document 1 to tell sheet 1 to tell table 1
			set nextCell to cell nextColumn of row nextRow
			set value of nextCell to nextValue
		end tell
	end repeat
end repeat

-- Clean up. Set the delimiters back to what they were at the start

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldTID

Dec 31, 2021 8:18 AM in response to SGIII

SG

Thank you, that's what I was thinking that I had to do, I just didn't know if there was a setting somewhere to turn off the "helpful" feature. Most of the time it's pretty good but in this one use case it bites me every time.

I am able to manually adjust all of the -SUR -MUR and other 3 letter suffix part numbers.

Thanks again,

Travis

Dec 31, 2021 8:27 AM in response to travisroy

travisroy wrote:

I just didn't know if there was a setting somewhere to turn off the "helpful" feature.

There is no way that I know of to control that behavior when opening a csv file. It might be possible to get better results by copy-pasting the contents of your csv file into an existing table in Numbers after first formatting the relevant columns in the table to Text. If you have to import similar data often, that might be worth a quick try to see if it works better.

Thanks for the green tick!

SG

How do I change the cell format on opening a file for the first time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.