When saving excel file in number how to include numbered column

I have some old Excel spreadsheets of cemetery records that I'm converting to numbers. The new file has the numbered column of the order of the rows but it is not a true column. I need that numbered column to keep a record of it. Can I convert that numbering to a new column so I can retain that as a way to sort?

MacBook Air 11″, 10.14

Posted on May 5, 2023 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 2:08 PM

For clarity, I think the "column" of row numbers in Excel was the list of row numbers down the left side of the table, the same row numbers that are seen in Numbers when the table is selected. It was not part of the table in Excel and was not part of the "record" in Excel but they were always there so it might have looked like it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 2:08 PM in response to jaxjason

For clarity, I think the "column" of row numbers in Excel was the list of row numbers down the left side of the table, the same row numbers that are seen in Numbers when the table is selected. It was not part of the table in Excel and was not part of the "record" in Excel but they were always there so it might have looked like it.

May 5, 2023 5:31 AM in response to flaggfish

If it is not a "true column", what is it?

In my opinion, leaving it is Excel would be a better choice if this file is ever going to be used by others. Excel is the de facto standard. Every other spreadsheet app can open Excel files. Only Numbers can open Numbers files and, even then, only newer versions of the Numbers app can open Numbers files that were ever opened in a newer version. I prefer Numbers for a lot of things but I often make a "backup" export to Excel for any documents I feel are important.

When saving excel file in number how to include numbered column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.