Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Identifying pics in "Photos"

In “Photos” on my MacBook Air I am, on each of my photographs, adding a description in the “Add a Description” section.  It has occurred to me, that for posterity reasons, unless future generations try to read the descriptions of each of these photographs they won't be able to read them unless they have a software program like “Photos”. I planned on storing these on thumb drives and distributing them to my children. What are my options for future generations opening these and being able to read the information on each photograph? 

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 8:05 PM

Your question goes to the heart of the problem we face in a digital age. I've seen the internet and computing mature over thirty years and because it's all about living in the moment technology and content is simply discarded and forgotten. One of my favourite Macs is the first iMac, but its chief value now is as a novelty item - anyone remember the classic macOS? Any game made for older operating systems now cannot be played, and so on. Even in the professional arts the same problem exists: EMI wanted to remix the original recordings of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album for a special anniversary release, but to their horror realised that they did not have the hardware at Abbey Road to play a 2 inch audio tape. They had to import it from a branch office in Asia, I believe, in order to convert it to digital format - and learned their lesson about matching hardware and software.

In terms of preserving photos, your metadata will be secure and transfers with the photo. In the short term, future versions of Photos or its successors will be backwards compatible and be able to read the various current formats of image files, in a century though who could say?

But librarians are already ahead of us. Being a retired librarian I was long ago aware of the efforts of the major collections to help preserve digital photos. The American Library Association for example has this page which is a good starting point if you're interested in the topic, and here in Australia the National Library has similar advice on this page. The British Library has this program to assist people preserve their photos, and so on.

Mind you, our forebears from a century ago had the same problem with printed photos. Which family does not have some old snaps with a hastily scrawled note about when, where, and of whom the photo was taken? If you're lucky you can read the antique handwriting. Nothing changes does it!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 8:05 PM in response to gary2906

Your question goes to the heart of the problem we face in a digital age. I've seen the internet and computing mature over thirty years and because it's all about living in the moment technology and content is simply discarded and forgotten. One of my favourite Macs is the first iMac, but its chief value now is as a novelty item - anyone remember the classic macOS? Any game made for older operating systems now cannot be played, and so on. Even in the professional arts the same problem exists: EMI wanted to remix the original recordings of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album for a special anniversary release, but to their horror realised that they did not have the hardware at Abbey Road to play a 2 inch audio tape. They had to import it from a branch office in Asia, I believe, in order to convert it to digital format - and learned their lesson about matching hardware and software.

In terms of preserving photos, your metadata will be secure and transfers with the photo. In the short term, future versions of Photos or its successors will be backwards compatible and be able to read the various current formats of image files, in a century though who could say?

But librarians are already ahead of us. Being a retired librarian I was long ago aware of the efforts of the major collections to help preserve digital photos. The American Library Association for example has this page which is a good starting point if you're interested in the topic, and here in Australia the National Library has similar advice on this page. The British Library has this program to assist people preserve their photos, and so on.

Mind you, our forebears from a century ago had the same problem with printed photos. Which family does not have some old snaps with a hastily scrawled note about when, where, and of whom the photo was taken? If you're lucky you can read the antique handwriting. Nothing changes does it!

Jan 2, 2022 6:15 PM in response to David McKinlay

Thank you for your quick response. I did check out this page with the Library of Congress. I am still not sure if I have a clear answer to my question. Probably because there isn't a clear answer. I have no problem saving photographs on a thumb drive, it's just I don't seem to have a way to save more than a two or three word description for each photograph. This is the meta-data that you mentioned. Somehow I don't understand how they can put a man or two on the moon but yet they can't come up with a SIMPLE solution for meta-data to be saved and accessed easily by anyone you may or may not have matching software. David I appreciate you trying to explain this to me but it obviously isn't the answer I was hoping for. Happy New Year!

Jan 2, 2022 10:03 PM in response to gary2906

You could also print an index to your photos with Contact Sheet layout and captions below the thumbnails. Save the index as a PDF file.

Or export the originals of the photos with the option "IPTC as XPM" checked to create a sidecar file for each photo. The XPM sidecar files are text files and can be read with a text editor. The descriptions can be extracted from these files.

Identifying pics in "Photos"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.