Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Connected Device

Hi

Happy New Year 2022

Last week I went to the local library for remote work. I tried to hotspot my Macbook to my iPhone. While I was troubleshooting the connection issue, I was shocked to see that my phone is connected to Yani's S21. I have absolutely no idea what is that device. The name is not recognized to me previously too.

My hotspot is usually closed and is password protected.

May I know if such connection is intended by iOS design?

I always remind myself of the security issue and have the habit of forgetting any device that I have used in the past. What measure can I do to prevent Yani S21 from connecting to my phone without my consent?

Regards,

James

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 10:25 PM

9 replies

Dec 31, 2021 10:32 PM in response to jameshoty

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password, etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jailbreak
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing

Dec 31, 2021 10:37 PM in response to jameshoty

jameshoty Said:

"Unknown Connected Device"

-------

Contact Apple Support:

If you cannot remove it, Contact Apple Support, asking them how to do so. This seems to be a Security & Privacy issue --one that needs to be fixed ASAP..

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Dec 31, 2021 11:17 PM in response to jameshoty

jameshoty Said:

"[...]But the fact that an unknown device can get connected (by itself) to my phone when I am in the public place is eerie.""

-------

Three Things:

A. Disabling Bluetoth:

You're right --it is a bit eerie. I couldn't agree less. So, disabling Bluetooth for seems the way to go, for now.

B. Start with a Restart:

Restart your iPhone, and see if it then is fixed.

C. Verify your Devices:

See if it already associated to your account. Go here: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

Dec 31, 2021 10:31 PM in response to jameshoty

Check if this remains connected even when you walk away to another room with concrete walls or say 100 feet away.

Try the following that may help remove the mysterious device

• Settings > General > Transfer & Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  • You may have some third-party apps installed especially for Audio, please delete that.
  • You may have some profiles installed by some nearby Bluetooth accessories.

Dec 31, 2021 10:50 PM in response to TheLittles

The unknown device is gone after I turned off bluetooth and it is not showing any unknown devices when bluetooth is on at this moment (at home right now)... But the fact that an unknown device can get connected (by itself) to my phone when I am in the public place is eerie. I will tend to keep checking the setting and I can't turn it off if I do not want to disconnect my iWatch

Dec 31, 2021 11:48 PM in response to jameshoty

Make sure ( what I’d personally do ) remove all those devices under your Bluetooth. I’m sure you can turn it on and off as needed. I usually have mine turned off. It will say my watch and if it’s connected or not. Even when I disconnect it, it only takes a moment to pair back up. So I’d keep it off, and remove any unknown device. All that aren’t using it for that matter.

good luck

Unknown Connected Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.