Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple login issue with Monterey

A bizarre login issue has come up. I assume it is related to my recent OS update to Monterey. When I go to an Apple site to log in, such as this community forum just now, I am given a small login window with an icon of a lock at the top. My user name is already filled in, but it is the user name for this computer, not my Apple user name, which is my email address. My Apple password does not work. Instead, my computer login password works. Thatʻs right. Somehow, Apple has confused my Mac and my apple.com user names and redefined my Mac system login as my Apple login. If I select the option "login under a different user name," I then get a different login window that allows me to enter my Apple user name and accepts my usual Apple password. I called Apple support yesterday on this issue on on one other issue and the person had no clue what was going on. Not helpful at all. No suggestions, no fixes. What gives?

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 9:06 AM

if you enabled two factor authentication, then that is expected behaviour. since enabling it on my mac (long ago) i now enter my admin password instead of apple ID password to sign in to these forums. (and some other places) you can go to System Preferences > Apple ID in the "password & security" tab and see if it is enabled.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 9:06 AM in response to Jan Becket

if you enabled two factor authentication, then that is expected behaviour. since enabling it on my mac (long ago) i now enter my admin password instead of apple ID password to sign in to these forums. (and some other places) you can go to System Preferences > Apple ID in the "password & security" tab and see if it is enabled.

Jan 1, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Jan Becket

Running the exact same equipment as yourself. This is what is presented when logging into the ASC Forums. Yes, I have Two Factor Authorization enabled on my Apple Account.

In the picture below - I choose icon " Continue Password " and am presented with another pop up, input Computer Password.

Presto - logged into ASC Forums.

Jan 1, 2022 9:38 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thanks! It is good to know that this is not a system snafu. I cannot see why it qualifies as "two factor." My bank texts a code to my phone. Thatʻs two factor ID. But at least it is intentional and not a bug. I wonder why Apple Support could not tell me this. In any case, I see that two factor is turned on, but cannot see a way to turn it off if I decide to do so. Where does one turn it off if not in System Preferences?

Apple login issue with Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.