Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maximum items added won’t let me connect my air tag

My phone won’t connect my air tag because it says there’s a maximum items added I only have three my phone watch and AirPods even with those all unpaired my phone says there’s still a maximum number of items added

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:54 PM

I’ve looked at all the recommendations all over the internet: deleted devices off my icloud, deleted off of find my, disconnected my bluetooth to multiple devices, changed my privacy on my bluetooth, updated my software, resetting the airtagc, etc. i still cannot get a BRAND NEW, never used, just took the tab off today airtag to connect to my phone. Gives me an error every time that i must remove items from my items paired because i’ve maxed on them. At this point, i only have my phone listed.

what else can i possibly do? i have never had an issue with apple till now.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 5:54 PM in response to Bariley228

I’ve looked at all the recommendations all over the internet: deleted devices off my icloud, deleted off of find my, disconnected my bluetooth to multiple devices, changed my privacy on my bluetooth, updated my software, resetting the airtagc, etc. i still cannot get a BRAND NEW, never used, just took the tab off today airtag to connect to my phone. Gives me an error every time that i must remove items from my items paired because i’ve maxed on them. At this point, i only have my phone listed.

what else can i possibly do? i have never had an issue with apple till now.

Jan 2, 2022 12:49 PM in response to Bariley228

Hi Bariley228!

It sounds like you’re unable to pair your AirTag, and we’re happy to help. Please try unpairing another accessory, such as AirPods, an Apple Watch or other Bluetooth accessory, then connect to the AirTag. If pairing is successful, you can then pair the item that was unpaired again.

If you're still having trouble after trying this workaround, you should contact Apple Support using this link:

Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2022 5:16 PM in response to Bariley228

I had the same problem. I was able to get it connected with the help of Apple Support chat. First we did this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212251

But that didn't work so we did this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209463

BUT, before I did step 7 and reconnected the Airpods I tried to connect the airtag. It worked. After that I reconnected the airpods.

All is good now.

Jun 16, 2022 1:26 AM in response to joycefromwinslow

Thanks sir!

i did the same thing and Voila! finally!

After deleting everything airpods macbook even my iphone from Find My resulting in all data lost 😭 (my babies photos as well💔).

So what I did is to follow every step from1-6 in How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support (not yet 7)

and try to connect to air tag again and that’s it.

Apr 8, 2022 12:55 PM in response to Bariley228

After reviewing other replies, this one seemed to solve the issue and I was able to successfully add a new AirTag by removing my AirPod Pros from my devices and then added them back after the new AirTag setup.

1. Initiate new AirTag setup.
    1. Received error alert about reaching maximum limit of items (even though I only have 6 items: MacBooks, iPads, AirPod Pros, iPhone, and another AirTag.
  2. I removed only the AirPod Pros from my devices.
  3. Try to add the new AirTag, go through the setup and it was successful!
  4. I re-added AirPod Pros after the second AirTag setup was complete.

Other replies stated that restarting phone may work, which it did get me further in the new AirTag Setup, but it errored out upon naming the device and then displayed the maximum limit alert again.

Another reply stated removing all devices including AirPods, but I only had to remove the AirPod Pros in order to get it to work. I was glad I didn't have to remove and add all of my other devices again.

Feb 19, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Bariley228

Heres my theory:

Every device counts as a find my item. I have 9 airtags in find my, and 7 (including both AirPods) which is 16, the stated max for AirTags. What I think they failed to mention is that the limit of 16 is for all find my devices and items.

for those who can’t add the AirTag and don’t have 16 items/ devices it’s recommended to remove all AirPods from find my and Bluetooth and that usually works. If that doesn’t work you can turn off find my and try again or do a combo of the two options.

That usually fixes it but I talked to support and went all the way up to the engineers and they still couldn’t give me an answer and just said “wait for the next update to see if it fixes it” which isn’t helpful now.

May 9, 2022 12:55 PM in response to Bariley228

What worked for me was a combination of things but I have to tell you that I was basically "flipping through the channels" trying stuff out and searching the internet for answers (no thanks to Apple). I removed my AirPods from my bluetooth connections, turned off bluetooth, turned-off my phone, turned-on my phone and turned on bluetooth. Then when my Airtag was recognized it finally let me set it up properly. I am TOTALLY P*SSED-OFF at Apple for making this so confusing and complicated. There is simply no excuse for not clearly explaining this set-up procedure and having troubleshooting ideas listed. If a device or technology has bugs then DON'T RELEASE IT!!!!!!

Jul 11, 2022 9:20 PM in response to Bariley228

Solution: Temporarily remove AirPods, beats, watch etc that have Find my enabled from under Devices in Find My. They count toward your 16. Reboot iPhone. Add new AirTags. Add Airpods, beats, watch back in. All works.

SO if you have 12 AirTags connected and 2 Airpods, 1 Beats, 1 Apple Watch that - 16 and you can't add any more AirTags as 16 is the limit. If you want to add 1 AirTag, remove 1 of the AirPods for example, reboot iphone, add AirTag then re-add Airpod - it's a stupid workaround, but it works!!

Maximum items added won’t let me connect my air tag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.