Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play my old iTunes library offline on my MacBook Pro?

I just upgraded from High Sierra to Monterey. The Music app will let me see my old iTunes library in the "Songs" tab, but it won't show the albums, and the songs won't play when I'm offline, even though they're still on my hard drive, in the iTunes Music folder. How do I integrate my existing library, which I burned from CDs and didn't buy from Apple, into the new Music app? How do I play those songs offline? Do I have to pay for Apple Music just to access the music I owned before I installed Monterey?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:58 PM

See the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section in:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

"The default location for a Music library in Catalina and later is ~/Music/Music with the media files consolidated into ~/Music/Music/Media. After importing your iTunes library you may want to copy your active Music Library.musiclibrary file into ~/Music/Music replacing any older copy there, then use Music > Preferences > Files to reset the media folder path, and File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files to bring all the music into media folder."

No. You do not have to subscribe to Apple Music to play songs you imported from a CD or bought from the iTunes Store.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 5:58 PM in response to MLMLMLMLML

See the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section in:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

"The default location for a Music library in Catalina and later is ~/Music/Music with the media files consolidated into ~/Music/Music/Media. After importing your iTunes library you may want to copy your active Music Library.musiclibrary file into ~/Music/Music replacing any older copy there, then use Music > Preferences > Files to reset the media folder path, and File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files to bring all the music into media folder."

No. You do not have to subscribe to Apple Music to play songs you imported from a CD or bought from the iTunes Store.

How do I play my old iTunes library offline on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.