Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import pictures to 'Photos'

I have a few pictures on a desktop folder that I'd like to import to 'Photos' however when I drag and drop nothing happens.

I've tried some basic troubleshooting. Quit/Restart, ensure files are not corrupt, to no avail. I also noticed that 'Photos' is not importing directly from my iPhone either. What could be happening? The library file seems to be working fine and I'm able to browse and delete existing pictures but not import new ones.

When I try importing a second time, I get this message below, even though there's nothing happening: "Another import session is in progress. Please try again when the current task is complete."

Thanks in advance!

MBA from 2019, with OSX Monterrey version 12.0.1

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 3:19 PM

There is your problem. A network drive is not compatible with a photos library, and ExFAT format is also incompatible - double whammy.

You can only store a photos library on a locally connected (thunderbolt or USB) drive formatted APFS, or MacOS Extended (journaled). You will need to move your library on to such a drive.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 3:19 PM in response to The_Traveller

There is your problem. A network drive is not compatible with a photos library, and ExFAT format is also incompatible - double whammy.

You can only store a photos library on a locally connected (thunderbolt or USB) drive formatted APFS, or MacOS Extended (journaled). You will need to move your library on to such a drive.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Jan 4, 2022 2:55 PM in response to The_Traveller

Try the trial version of carbon copy cloner to copy the library. That often works where a standard finder copy doesn't.

Oh - and, just in case, the drive mustn't also be used for time machine.

Regarding it working until now:

The problem with incompatible volumes is they can work - until they don't. Operating the library on one can result in a gradual build up of errors in the library until it eventually stops opening, otherwise malfunctions, or a later OS version decides it can't work with it. To be honest it is ridiculous that the app doesn’t detect an incompatible volume, and refuse to work with it (with appropriate message) until you sort it out

Jan 2, 2022 4:22 AM in response to The_Traveller

If the problem persists, could you give a few more details, please?

• What is the file format of the photos you are trying to import? JPEG or a different format?
  • Is your Desktop folder in iCloud or stored locally?
  • How much free storage do you have on your Mac and in iCloud, if you are using iCloud?
  • Where ist your Photos Library stored?

Jan 2, 2022 1:00 PM in response to léonie

Hi, the problem persists. Here are a few more details:

• Unable to import multiple file formats (jpeg, HEIC, mov, etc)
  • The folder is on my desktop but I get the same behaviour trying to import from iPhone or directly from the desktop via drag and drop.
  • Don't use iCloud but plenty of storage space on Mac and on network drives.
  • The Photos library is on a network drive. FAT file format.

Hope that helps and thanks in advance for all the help.

Jan 4, 2022 12:11 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Got it. This is a bummer because it's been working for a while. Something must have changed with Monterrey that enforced that rule... :(

FYI, I tried repairing the library but that failed and now I'm trying to move it to a MacOS drive but get this error message: "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access your Photos library". I've tried transferring the file while in Safe mode but still getting the same error message.

What can I do?

Error while trying to copy library.

Error while trying to repair library

Jan 16, 2022 2:39 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for the reco. Carbon Copy cloner was able to move the library from the NAS drive to a different HPFS drive attached to the laptop. Following that, I repaired the photos library (option+command+click on Photos) and although no issues were found, I'm now able to import/export photos normally.

Over the years it feels like Photos relies more and more on iCloud and it makes it harder if you don't want/trust the service. I'm still looking for an optimal solution to backup my photos and have them available wirelessly without involving iCloud.

Thanks again!

Unable to import pictures to 'Photos'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.